Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All™,
Here's some new shots of my bike after hard mounting some "Throw-Over" bags that I got recently. The old bags I had will fit in one of these. If I'm not mistaken, they're about as big as will possibly fit on the 1100. I've also put two new tires on and did a little painting on the rims. The rims turned out EXTREMLY good, and they're as close to the same color as the bike as I could possibly get. I added some light reflecting paint on top of the blue, and it is noticable when light hits them. I also added about 2 coats of clear on top of all that. I also had to re-locate my already re-located blinkers on the back because of the bags being so large. I think this is all I'll do this summer, but I'm looking to get both fenders and the tank repainted in the near future. I'd like to keep it dark blue, but with some type of white flames added. If anyone has any neat picture of blue bikes with white flames, fill me in on where I can see them at.

I can't remember the member who posted about him also painting their rims, but I must say THANKS for putting the idea out there. It's the first time I've seen a mod and said to myself, "I MUST do that" and actually go through with it. For anyone else wanting to try it, it's simple, but takes about 3 hours per rim to do it right.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looks Great! I'm going to have to do that with my '83 vt500c. I've been looking for something to do with the rims. Nice job.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
OK, Paint on the rims? Now I have another idea for my bobber. Will the list never end?
I guess I will have to go with the pearl red to match my flames. I keep seeing so many ideas for my bike...will the madness ever end?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PainterD said:
OK, Paint on the rims? Now I have another idea for my bobber. Will the list never end?
I guess I will have to go with the pearl red to match my flames. I keep seeing so many ideas for my bike...will the madness ever end?
Hey All™,
I hate short posts, but I had to.

Nope! Not around here. :lol:

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
scottyb said:
Great accent to your rims, I like it! Looks like the masking would be pretty tedious but well worth it..Good Job
Hey All™,
The masking is about 75% of the time. Take your time, don't get in a hurry, and don't forget what TO mask off, and you'll do a great job. To rough up the rim, I used 400 grit flexible pads.(bought them at Lowes, they're purple) To get off any oil or grease, I used Greased Lighting. What makes it even easier is that the polished part of your rim lets the tape make a perfect seal. Another good thing about it being polished is that if you do have some get under the tape, take your fingernail and it scrapes off easy. Do this as SOON as you can touch the paint without leaving a fingerprint. The longer you wait, the harder it is to come off. O, use an EXTREMELY sharp detail knife. Since I put plastic models together, I have several on hand. The one I used has somewhat of a triangle looking blade on it, with an extremely sharp point.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.