Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my name is brendin, im looking forward to being a part of this site. i recently got my 1st bike, 2000 honda shadow spirit 1100. i love it! it is a blast to ride. i do have one question though. how often does the battery go out on a bike? i know the battery in mine is pretty new but it doesnt want to hold a charge.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Congrats on your first bike, and welcome to the forum.

The battery is 'pretty new'... as in 11 years old?

There are a lot of factors to consider... The battery may actually not be holding the charge, there could be something on the bike pulling the battery down, could be the charging system isn't fully charging the battery.

Probably the best bet for you is to first take the battery to the shop and have them check it out. If it checks ok, take the bike to the shop to look it over.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Welcome aboard Brendin. In response to your question, it appears around here that a lot of the batteries are pretty inconsistent in regards to their life spans. That propable comes from how well the batteries are taken care of or often the bikes are riden... but with that said, a lot of batteries will start to fail after only two or three years if not tended to. Now, plenty of folks will tell you they get 7 to 10 years out of a battery, so there you go. it has been my experience that a stock bike battery that is allowed to trickle down each off season will only last you a couple of years.
Hope you get lots of good miles and great times on your new bike.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
welcome

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you all for the tips and advice! ill get some pictures up soon. ive got to say, riding is addictive and it will definately be my primary transport from now on once i get the battery situation figured out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts