Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 honda shadow ace 750. There is no fuel gauge and from what I understand there is no indicator light to show when you are lown on fuel (correct?). So I have a couple questions:

1. When you start to run out of gas, will you feel the bike sputter and then while in the middle of driving, do you reach down and turn your petcock to reserve? Or what is the best practice? (right now I'm using my trip meter to gauge my mpg usage so I don't have to do that, but still......)

2. The ACE manual says I have a 3.7 gal tank capacity, then a .95 gal fuel reserve capacity. I'm guessing my actual tank is 3.7 - .95 = 2.75 gallons and my reserve is .95 gallons, is this correct? OR do I have a 3.7gal tank plus the reserve? I've never tried to run the tank dry as I've only had the bike for close to a month but I want to see what my true mpg is soon so I'm preparing.

Thanks for the help. And anyone that has a similar ACE, the tank capacity thing is much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
First off, Welcome.

Second, Nice lookin ride!

Third, yes... when you feel you are sputtering or that the bike is slowing down no matter how much throttle you use, just reach down and turn the petcock to reserve.

fourth, i believe you have 3.7g PLUS .95g reserve (someone correct me if i am wrong).

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Best way to discover this is to run it until it starts to jerk then switch to the reserve. My twin carbed '98 ACE goes 150-160 (mostly hwy) on the main when the valves were slightly off making it do 50mpg instead of 55. Now that I have adjusted it (my exhaust valves are always the culprit), it could theoretically go about 170.

Jez my $0.02

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Best way to discover this is to run it until it starts to jerk then switch to the reserve. My twin carbed '98 ACE goes 150-160 (mostly hwy) on the main when the valves were slightly off making it do 50mpg instead of 55. Now that I have adjusted it (my exhaust valves are always the culprit), it could theoretically go about 170.

Jez my $0.02
im lucky to get 110miles before i have to switch.. am i still can't figure out why.. lol

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Chopped02
You might check your valves. My #1 exhaust clatters because the gap opens to 0.009 and this is my clue to set them. I am not sure what hard down (no gap) intakes would do (noise, etc) but I'd look at valves first. My ACE seems to require a reset about every 5K. I plan to replace the nuts and stems next time around.

·
Registered
358 Posts

Here's the last 5 fillups on my '03 750 Spirit. It shows how many miles I went on each trip, and how many gallons were in that fillup.
The top one, and the 4th one down I filled up early because I knew there wasn't going to be any gas stations for a little while.
But I average about 110-125 miles before I have to kick in my reserve. When I gas up right after I switch to reserve, it usually takes about 2.5-2.8 gallons. Not sure what the reserve holds. A friend with an 03 said it's not much, I thought it was about a gallon tho.

Attachments

·
Registered
358 Posts
also, if I do use some reserve, when I fill up the tank will it automatically fill the reserve? Or do I have to switch the petcock again?

No it'll fill both of them up.
Best way I can describe it is this. Put both hands out in front of you. Left hand is your reserve, right is your main. Now drop the right one slowly. That's how your gas normally flows when it's set to main. (Reserve stays full, Main drains)

Now drop both of them slowly. If you have it set to reserve, it's going to drain gas from both. Basically as it pulls from reserve, it's going to fill it back up with the main. And when you're out of gas with the reserve on, you're out.

Reactions: YUHU32

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Main is actually the top 2/3rds of the tank. When you switch, all it is doing is accessing the bottom 1/3rd. If you ride by the odometer, you should start looking for gas at 100 to 120 miles. And when you test to see what your range is, don't forget to switch the valve back when you fill.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Chopped02
You might check your valves. My #1 exhaust clatters because the gap opens to 0.009 and this is my clue to set them. I am not sure what hard down (no gap) intakes would do (noise, etc) but I'd look at valves first. My ACE seems to require a reset about every 5K. I plan to replace the nuts and stems next time around.
I have never worked on valves before, are they difficult to adjust? I had a compression test done about 2 months ago and it all came back perfect... shouldn't this show that the valves are good?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone. The answers were great. From what it sounds like, I must have a 2.75 gal main, and .95gal reserve even though the manual listed two lines at 3.7gal fuel tank and .95gal reserve. The manual just wasn't clear I guess, but that's why I have you guys !! lol thanks again

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I have never worked on valves before, are they difficult to adjust? I had a compression test done about 2 months ago and it all came back perfect... shouldn't this show that the valves are good?
Perfect is relative. My 0.009 valve is within spec but reduces performance and makes noise. You'll need to look at the actuals, not just them being within spec. I'd not do them until you have a reason - noise or crappy performance, cuz they are a pain in the ass to do.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Perfect is relative. My 0.009 valve is within spec but reduces performance and makes noise. You'll need to look at the actuals, not just them being within spec. I'd not do them until you have a reason - noise or crappy performance, cuz they are a pain in the ass to do.
pain in the ass = winter project

Thanks Dave

·
Registered
166 Posts
not sure if anyone posted this, but you dont have a "reserve tank" just a "reserve" setting,
the petcock has a straw (maybe 2 depending on make) that sticks up inside the tank. it while in (On) mode, it will only drain from the mark above the straw. once the gas level dips below the straw, it is unable to suck down gas. If you switch to reserve, it now uses the bottom portion of your tank, It will start using gas by opening a hole at the base of the valve allowing for the remainder of whats in your tank to be used.

<ignore this section, me ranting>
OR alternatively, your petcock may not work they way its supposed to and doesent care what setting its on and will drain your tank regardless of what setting it on. (as in my case, all my seals are in good condition, cant figure out why its not working correctly which wouldnt be an issue to me if my carb float needles were working properly....)
<yup, finished now>

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
not sure if anyone posted this, but you dont have a "reserve tank" just a "reserve" setting,
the petcock has a straw (maybe 2 depending on make) that sticks up inside the tank. it while in (On) mode, it will only drain from the mark above the straw. once the gas level dips below the straw, it is unable to suck down gas. If you switch to reserve, it now uses the bottom portion of your tank, It will start using gas by opening a hole at the base of the valve allowing for the remainder of whats in your tank to be used.

<ignore this section, me ranting>
OR alternatively, your petcock may not work they way its supposed to and doesent care what setting its on and will drain your tank regardless of what setting it on. (as in my case, all my seals are in good condition, cant figure out why its not working correctly which wouldnt be an issue to me if my carb float needles were working properly....)
<yup, finished now>

I think that was mentioned already but not in detail like that. Interesting to know. Oh, and you cracked me up with you rant! lol, crazy machines

·
Registered
256 Posts
First, valves are not difficult to adjust, as long as you have the proper feeler gauge and wrench. The actual adjustment shouldn't take more than a minute or two. However, depending on the particular vehicle you're working on, it may be either very easy or very difficult to actually access the valves. It may be an hour or an afternoon to do your bike, depending on how familiar you are with the process.

Second, a compression test doesn't relate at all to the valve lash adjustment (unless someone has set the lash way too tight and the valve(s) aren't actually closing fully). Typically, the valve lash gets looser as time passes. So, the valves would seat fine (compression would show normal), but both the valve lift and the duration of lift would be reduced. So, the adjustment usually reduces lash, which provides greater valve lift.

·
Registered
162 Posts
On average I'm getting about 50 mpg on my ace. I can go 140-150 miles before switching to reserver. I've been messing with my pilot screws here lately tho and have noticed mpg drop when running too rich....also power drop. I'm trying to find a happy medium between too lean/decel popping and too rich/performance drop. It sure would be alot easer if the front carb was easily excessible. Removing the air cleaner and putting back on each time I adjust is a pain.

·
Registered
226 Posts
You need to also compensate your guess-ta-ment MPG if your riding two-up, or riding up lots of hills or steep grades, or just getting on it hard alot, & city vs. highway riding.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
I beleave Chopped was right. On my aero I had to go to reserve once. My bike just quit I went to reserve. Just reached down and turned it. I put 2.8 gallon in.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Nice ride.

Nobody has said it, so I will. Figure out how far your bike will go before you have to switch to reserve. After you learn that, fill up before that point.
I have had my engine sputter in an intersection, and also when a truck was too close behind me. Either case is not good.
I do not like running until it sputters out. It is far too simple to just refuel when you are getting near that point. And use the reserve for what it is...for emergency use only.
Dan

1 - 20 of 23 Posts