Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone!

I grew up on dirtbikes and rode from age 9 - 17 and did a bit of motocross racing, so I have some familiarity with riding, although not much street experience. In college, I bought a friend's *extra*beat*up* Sportster 883 for around town, but bit off more than I could chew (bike vs. rent) and sold it 6 months later.

So, I'm finally at the point to get a bike for the road again. I want to use it as a daily driver as well as trips within the 4 hour (or so) range. I've taken both out on short test drives, but am wholly unfamiliar with how these two different sizes will differ for much longer trips.

The main question in my mind is do I save the few thousand and get a 750, or put down the extra cash for the 1100? I plan on keeping this bike for a long time, so I'm also worried about growing out of the 750.

Anyway, I've rambled on long enough. Any advice would be appreciated!
Cheers,
Matt

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
How big are you ?

All other things being equal, how do the bikes fit you? Either one has plenty of power and can go for hours, comfortably and safely, depending on how well you fit the bike in question. Will you ride solo, or two up? Are you tall, needing forward controls in order to stretch out ? Will you be hauling camping gear, or cruising down the interstate at 80 mph for extended time? Do you carry extra ballast like I do ?
I ride an ACE 1100, my buddy rides an ACE 750, several of the others have big Harleys, and we all end up at the same place at the same time.
Jim Mann

·
Registered
296 Posts
My $.02 - Get the 1100.

In my experience, if you are worried about growing out of it already, you probably will within a few months.
I was much like you, got back into riding after years off and I bought the 750. Regretted it within months and about a year later I sold it and bought the 1100.

I do regular interstate riding to work and I did not enjoy the 750 nearly as well as I do the 1100 on the highway.

Also something to consider is that 2007 is the last model year for the 1100 Spirit and Sabre. If you buy an 1100 later, it will be a used bike.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
If you have ridden a lot in the past, it's not a big deal between the 750 and 1100 - they are only a few pounds different, the 1100 offers some addtional torque and about 8 -10 more HP.
So basically there is no substitution for cc's.

Also the 1100s are shaft drive (maintenance free bascially -- at least you don't have to deal with that oil/greas stuff splattered on the bottom of your removable Givi saddle bags and mess up the white comforter at the B&B in Dunedin, NZ when you set them down to unpack.....ask me how I know this....... :oops: ) But I digress.....given the choice, go 1100.

Besides anything under 1000cc's is a "girls" bike...... :twisted: :lol: :wink:

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I am in agreement, the 1100 is the way to go. Mine is 18 years old, and runs like new. I have taken it on hour long rides, and many 600 mile day rides, and it has never let me down. Great power, and ecomomy in one package. Hard to complain about 48-50 MPG, and adequate power. -----------Metalguy :wink:

·
Registered
799 Posts
cbjr0256 said:
If you have ridden a lot in the past, it's not a big deal between the 750 and 1100 - they are only a few pounds different, the 1100 offers some addtional torque and about 8 -10 more HP.
So basically there is no substitution for cc's.

Also the 1100s are shaft drive (maintenance free bascially -- at least you don't have to deal with that oil/greas stuff splattered on the bottom of your removable Givi saddle bags and mess up the white comforter at the B&B in Dunedin, NZ when you set them down to unpack.....ask me how I know this....... :oops: ) But I digress.....given the choice, go 1100.

Besides anything under 1000cc's is a "girls" bike...... :twisted: :lol: :wink:
:lol: :lol: but ya dont have to be a boy to ride one 8) :lol: :lol: I love my sabre all 1100cc of it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Everyone!

Thanks for the information and comments! I've got about a month to go before I make my choice, so I may have a few more questions coming up. Glad to be part of the hondashadow.net group!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Neither

Having owned both, I would not recommend either. A much better bang for the buck is the Kawasaki 800 Classic. Big bike stlye and comfort, very light weight and it will easily outperform either of them. I am not knocking Hondas, they are nice bikes (I own 3). But....having been on both sides, they simply do not measure up no matter how you slice it. You should be able to find an '03-'04 800 Classic for $3000-$3200, fully equipped, low miles. We did and haven't stopped smiling since.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've got 2 buddies that both have 750 Spirits and they both tell me that when they're on the highway, they're always "looking for another gear". I've got an 1100 Spirit and it's geared for the road with plenty of poop to ride 2 up. I've also ridden my friends' 750's and at highway speeds, the bike feels likes it's straining. Although you can change the gearing a little with all but the '07's ('07's now have shaft drive), I still think you will be happier with the 1100.

(Long-winded vote for the 1100) :lol:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Matt,

My riding history is similar to yours, but without the excitement of motocross! Trail riding was a blast on 70's and 125's. I was riding when a "big bike" was a 750. I rode a 450 for a while right after I got married in '85.

I don't have any experience with the Shadow 750, but I recently moved up from a Magna 750 to an ACE 1100. The Magna is faster, but the ACE is much more comfortable. And it sounds awesome. The Magna feels like a toy now.

Just my rambling vote for the 1100 if you can swing it.

~ Rob

·
Registered
943 Posts
buttman said:
My $.02 - Get the 1100.

In my experience, if you are worried about growing out of it already, you probably will within a few months.
I was much like you, got back into riding after years off and I bought the 750. Regretted it within months and about a year later I sold it and bought the 1100.

I do regular interstate riding to work and I did not enjoy the 750 nearly as well as I do the 1100 on the highway.

Also something to consider is that 2007 is the last model year for the 1100 Spirit and Sabre. If you buy an 1100 later, it will be a used bike.
this bike is being discontinued ???????

·
Registered
105 Posts
I am 5'10 275 lbs and I have the 750 spirt I like it. The bike fits me great and runs great even on the highway . I have never had any problems with it and dont plan on getting an 1100 or even moving up I think there is verry little diffrences between the size of the two bikes and if I wanted to ride faster I wouldn't of bought a cruiser. I'am a verry happy costumer of my spirit

·
Registered
139 Posts
I made a post similar to yours on this board about a year and a half ago. I was undecided between a Spirit 750 and 1100. I was about to buy a new 750 when I came across a year old 1100 for less than the new 750. I bought the used 1100 and have been very happy ever since.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I bought the 750 two years ago because it was what I could afford. I convinced myself it was all I needed, but after a year I concluded that the 750 was just too small. The 750 always seemed to need another gear, even in the City. What's more, although the 750 is the better looking of the two, it had too much plastic for my taste (that's just the machinist coming out in me: it might not matter that much to you).

So I ended up trading the 750 on an 1100 Spirit and haven't regreted it for a second. The 1100 has more power, more presence, and more metal, and I'll drive it for many years.

And my plan to save money by buying the 750 ended up costing me more in the end.

But, having said all this, the 750 is a lovely bike and I would happily own one again. It's your choice.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I really like my 1100, but before making a decision, especially if buying new.....check out the kawi vulcan 900.

it comes in 3 versions, the custom, the basic, the lt with all the gear and dressings.

I know a few people with them, LT, and thye have ridden them up and down the coast and love em

·
Registered
526 Posts
It all depends on your riding, and your economics.

The 750 will haul you down a highway without a problem, you will downshift and put the hammer down to get it to move out at highway speeds. I havent found the rev limiter in 4th gear yet.
The 1100 will be more comfortable on the highway due to a little more oooomph, you can just roll on.

My 750 gets 58 MPG, I have gotten up to 67MPG but that was keeping it under 50MPH, not that much fun.
A 1100 will get less, I have mostly seen abouut 45-47MPG posted here.

A 750 will run 2 up OK.
A 1100 will do 2 up better for the same reason a F350 will haul a load eaiser.

I got the 750 for my first bike getting back into riding. I knew that coming in it would do everything that I wanted it to do, for MY riding style and uses. I was looking at the 1100 and 1300, but I am not going to go on 2-3 day riding trips. A couple day trips a year, commute with style, and just go get my mind right on Saturday mornings.

If you can find a used 750 and run it for 2 years, you will know if you want to go bigger. I didnt find a used bike that I liked until 6 days after I brought mine home.
I figure if I want to go bigger, 1100 isn't where I am going to stop. If I want power I am going 1300 or better.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks again everyone!

Thanks for all of the replies and comments! Great to get advice from people who own these bikes. I've still got about a month until purchase time, so I'm going to get on both again and concentrate on the fit and comfort.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts