Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way home, after slowing down from 50, I droped into second with right turn signal on, I turned into my neighborhood headed for home. Leaning into my turn, I rotated the throttle, then listened to an awful steel to asphalt grinding. My right foot shook with a weird feeling. My mind is "what just broke? What happened? Am I going down?" But the bike felt good under me, and I pulled over to look for broken off motorcycle parts behind me. Then I understood.

So I think as a new rider, I need to slow down on turns. Scraping a peg is a bit too close to the edge of safe turns.

I told a fellow Honda rider at work about it. He asked me "What does your chicken stripe look like?" That refers to the wear area on the edge of your tires compared to the raised ridge? What does yours look like?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I don't go out of my way, but I drag a floorboard once a week.
I always think one of two things, either I came in hotter than I really wanted too and had to lean over more than I intended, or HELL YEA I ROCKED THAT ONE!!

·
Premium Member
8,857 Posts
I'm a chicken, I rarely scrape pegs on the road.. In practice though, the radical slow-speed stuff, in empty parking lots I try for it - and usually succeed to a Greater extent.. ;)

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'll tell ya my friend, turning into my hood, the main drag is 65 mph and my hood is 25. I have buzzed into that turn countless times. To this day I have never scraped a peg, and when I do, I will probably shat myself! I don't even know what scraping a peg feels like on my bike. I am glad you found out. I have no idea how I am going to find out. Thinking about my crash bars, it seems that the second I do scrape a peg, the next thing to hit the road is a crash bar. then I am thinking new paint job.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'll tell ya my friend, turning into my hood, the main drag is 65 mph and my hood is 25. I have buzzed into that turn countless times. To this day I have never scraped a peg, and when I do, I will probably shat myself! I don't even know what scraping a peg feels like on my bike. I am glad you found out. I have no idea how I am going to find out. Thinking about my crash bars, it seems that the second I do scrape a peg, the next thing to hit the road is a crash bar. then I am thinking new paint job.
I'm with you on this one. I've been riding for a long time and ride pretty hard at times and I've literally never scraped a peg. I've never had boards, but I understand scraping them is much more common than scraping pegs.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I'll occasionally scrape a peg on the Shadow. As for 'chicken strips' I'm sure most cruisers have significant ones.

Now the Bandit -- that's another story. No such thing as 'chicken strips'. ;-)

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
The Shadow line is quite low, compared to other designs. You scrape pegs far sooner than most higher bikes.
I tend to keep my heel a bit lower than the peg so I can feel it just before it happens.
Don't really like damaging any bike parts if I can help it.:D

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
I don't try to do it, it just happens sometimes. Like woodboats said,, I keep my heel lower most all of the time on the pegs, but it still happens.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
"What does your chicken stripe look like?"
I don't recall seeing the chicken stripes on my Sabre, and I often scraped pegs. Usually I'd hang my heel a bit low and feel that first.

old dad, seems you've worn off quite a bit of your peg. :lol:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I'm more of a heel scraper than a peg scraper, too.

Even then, it's pretty rare. I guess it's just my riding style.

Chicken strips? I don't think I've ever cared enough to look, and I probably won't bother looking now either. Of course, if I was worried about my image, I can always go to the local supermarket parking lot and do some figure 8's. :roll: :D

·
Registered
607 Posts
i think i scraped my heel once here in this current time as a rider. when i was younger i low sided whipping around a favorite turn. i was a little more careful after that, but i don't remember fearing it. but once i started riding again years later, i'm real concious of leaning very far. something i really need to get over, at least a little.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
170 on a 4.5" rim

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Many of you are comfortable with it. Old Dad's peg is impressive. But for me, with four months riding experience, I'm going to take scraping a peg as a wake up call. I tend to get over confident, and then careless....... But it's so much fun to lean hard and roll on some throttle!

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
Many of you are comfortable with it. Old Dad's peg is impressive. But for me, with four months riding experience, I'm going to take scraping a peg as a wake up call. I tend to get over confident, and then careless....... But it's so much fun to lean hard and roll on some throttle!
Didn't mean the pic of the peg to be so, we're not really supposed to be scraping the pegs, and you're wise to not become overconfident.

·
Registered
10,249 Posts
You can scrape in several different cases. First time I scraped on the X was in practice situation. Then it got a little common on the road. But I don't try to. I have scraped on a spirit 750 while riding normal and cautious, the elevation can change in a curve and it happens. I about soiled myself one time in the rain leaving the dragon after a 300 mile+ day trying to beat the rain and darkness.
But scraping happens, look on the bottom of most stock pegs, they have little feelers, they warn you and wear out before the pegs.
Be cautious, it IS your life at stake, ride your ride and enjoy it!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
8,857 Posts
I don't try to do it, it just happens sometimes. Like woodboats said,, I keep my heel lower most all of the time on the pegs, but it still happens.

Yeah.. It happens.. Happened to me on a couple of hairpins up around Flag' and on a roundabout - in town, one time.. Just came into the corner a-little too hot is all.. For me it's a wake-up call telling me to dial it back a bit..

I figure, Our Old Dad has about 50 thousand more miles worth of wake-up calls attached to them than most of us, tho' ;) ... :lol:

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Canyon scrapes pegs.. me..nope, unless you count the drop on the covered bridge when I had the dressers back in the 90's

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
I scrapped by right floorboard for the first time when I got my Metzeler 880's (after break-in), the 2 years prior with the OEM Bridgestones it never happened.

Some roads/intersections "Lend" themselves better to scrapping Pegs with the angles of the road etc.

It was an uncomfortable feeling the first time it happened and there was a Cop waiting at the intersection when I made the right turn. I counter steered and it pulled back up
then i went home and adjusted my floorboard forward another inch or so which also raises the floorboards too.

Hasn't happened since...

·
Registered
10,249 Posts
Sorry CD, but Canyon would scrape the frame and engine guards, well beyond pegs! Dude has got skills, glad he sold the X before one of them parts got hung up and he went down!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 33 Posts