Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi !

I was just wondering if it's normal for a new rider to feel back ache (lower back) .. I have 3 weeks since I got the bike, but the pain started this week that I have been going to work every day on my bike.. I'm wondering if this might be what is causing the pain or if it might be something else... gotta tell you is not a nice feeling though =S

I don't know if maybe I'm doing something wrong, maybe I'm not sitting right .. or I'm riding on a too tense position or I haven't "loose" myself enough ... :cry:

Have you experienced something like that because of the riding? :?: What is the healthier or best sitting position? :idea:

Have a great weekend ! :!:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Dave I have to be careful myself or I'll have a lower back ache when riding to. That's part of the reason I ponied up the big bucks and got a Mustang seat with the driver backrest. Once you get the backrest adjusted for you it makes an enormous difference (I mean a HUGE difference).

I'm far from an authority but when my lower back starts to feel uncomfortable I try to lean back some by pretty much straightening my arms and back and lean back into the back rest really good. That works for me but YMMV. Maybe some of the more experienced riders will jump in here - I'd like to hear their input myself.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I get sore if I go to long without reminding myself to SIT UP STRAIGHT! I slouch a lot. I was much more sore when I first started riding, too. The thing I found that helped me the most was to squeeze the tank tight with my legs.. seemed to take the strain off my back. Now, my 'riding muscles' are in better shape and I hardly ever resort to the tank squeeze.

·
Banned
28 Posts
Trueseaker said:
I get sore if I go to long without reminding myself to SIT UP STRAIGHT! I slouch a lot.
i am a sloucher too, and i don't sit up straight either. i couldn't go 30 miles when my back would be killing me. i started to wear a belt that goes around my lower back. bikers call them kidney belts. i wear one from home depot that you use when your lifting stuff. i paid 20 bucks for it. i also bought a backrest for my aero. now i can do 100 miles and not a problem at all. just a numb butt. i gotta do something with that stock seat!

good luck,

bill

·
Registered
15 Posts
I used to have back (and shoulder) pain when I rode. I remedied that with an Ultimate seat with backrest AND pullback risers. I've gone over 600 miles in one day and have had no back/shoulder issues at all. (btw..I used to slouch too)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow ! So this is more common than what I thought...

I'm not sure if I can get one of those backrest seats here .. have never seen one.. I'm wondering if I can ask somebody to DO one and attach it to my seat .. the seat is an original from Shadow, the one in the picture.. I'll try to get one of those belts billfitt mentioned.. I have seen people at the gym wearing something like that ..

You are right about remembering to sit up straight and it's funny because I felt that if I squeeze the tank tight with my legs my back was feeling better ...

Can I ask you what do you mean with "pullback risers"? do you have a picture?

thank you for your thoughts.. just hope that the pain starts to go away and my body to get used to the bike because it's great riding it ! :!:

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hello DaveCR,

I am one of those who also paid the big bucks and got a Mustang seat with the back rest because of lower back pain and numb butt. I did experiment a little before I bought it though. I loaded the passenger seat up with gear and found that it acted like a back rest and was wonderful. You could try tying a rolled up sleeping bag, or a couple of blankets or something, to the passenger seat to see if it relieves your pain before paying alot of money for the Mustang ($550+). But I love my new seat. I culdn't go more that=n a few hours before and now I can ride all day long. It made a huge difference.

Bruce

·
Registered
24 Posts
Back Ache

I believe that slouching has something to do with it. When I catch myself slouching, I sit up very straight for a little bit. But, one of the biggest helps on my Sabre was to get rid of the sotck seat and put a Mustang seat on it. Feels much better without that lower back pain.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Trueseaker said:
I get sore if I go to long without reminding myself to SIT UP STRAIGHT! I slouch a lot. I was much more sore when I first started riding, too.
What he said. Also, some roads just seem to "beat" you up. I don't know the distance in "one sitting" you're doing w/o taking breaks. But I find taking a break every hr or so after a difficult patch helps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had back problems when I started riding and I purchased a back rest from
Pro Tec. It cost about $125.00. It was worth It's weigh in gold. I can now ride 2 to 3 hundred miles a day and about 90 miles before my first stop. Also
before I got my back rest I applied my weight down on my feet and it helped me. I did hug my tank but I soon learn to relax my death grip. Just remember if you wear a safety belt it is only to remind you not to pick up
heavy weight and it is not a protection garment. I think everyone has good
advice and I hope you find your comfort zone. bc1

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
back pain

Funny thing...wife says I am sometimes a pain in the very, very low back :shock: and I am at times a slouch......but I usually don't have much lower back pain :?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've found that the better shape I am in, ie: stomach muscles the better my lower back feels when riding. Sitting up straight and keeping your stomach muscles engaged works for me, also just getting off the bike from time to time and stretching helps on those long rides.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My back is pretty well trash, and the Mustang seat with no backrest helped immensely, but found that with no passenger, that the bike (750 Spirit) rides pretty harshly solo even when the rear shocks on set to soft. Since I got floorboards, I can stand on them when crossing tracks and other anticipated rough stuff, which has also helped keep my fillings in, and because of the floorboards, being able to move my legs to some position other than the stock pegs has also helped.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
DaveCR........let's start at the beginning here.

1st, you got a 1985 VT500. By all accounts it's still got the foam from it's original manufacture date. This foam is rock-hard by now and very hard on the butt. :roll: Re-foaming and re-covering the seat IS a big help here as "custom made" (Corbin, Mustang, etc.) may NOT be available for your bike year. :( Many owners have had their stock seats re-done either by a local upholstry/auto shop. At this time "many" make "custom adjustments" to their seats to fit their "butts". It does help. :wink:

2nd, not sure if backrest available for your year bike but as someone mentioned I try to see if "Pro-Tac" (www.protac.net) has one that will fit your year/model. There is some adjustment fore/aft (I have one on my 1100 Shadow) and they fit a lot of different "sized people".

3rd, everybody's "butt" is different as to the stock seat or custom seats. The "acceptance" of comfort to one or the other comes from riding experience. Plus the "ergo's" of the bike itself. These "ergo's" are ones relative distance to the handle bars, angle of the handle bar grips, foot position, one's height, arm length, windshield or not and a few other odd's and ends. :roll:

It seems many newbies love the clean look of the bike.....at first. Then things on the body hurt (fingers, hands, back, legs) and they need good advise from us "old timers". So we advises them to do some of the aforementioned things and maybe add a windshield latter. We learned that "fightin' the wind" is tiring......behind a windshield one doesn't! Plus having a good seat, well adjusted bars and the best piece of equipment being the backrest, we can ride all day and NOT feel "beat" to a pulp at the end of the day. 8)

As a new rider you also have to get into "shape" a little. The "car driving" muscles don't have to work.......on the bike they do. :wink:

Hope this helps some,

Bullzeyet

·
Registered
335 Posts
I like that pro-tac back rest.. I didn't realize that I could get a driver's back rest without getting an expensive seat, and I have no complaints with my stock seat. I'm going to have to add that to my wish list.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Do you work out? It can be a core thing. When I am working out on a regular basis I can ride alot farther with more comfort. When I get lazy, put on extra weight and am not working out I start to feel it pretty quick. Speaking of that, need to get on the Nordic Track and work off all the lbs. from the holdiays.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks again for your thoughts...

I went to the protac page and checked the back rest Bullzeyet mentioned.. it says it's for a Shadow 1100, will it fit? :?: The sissy bar seems to be the same though... I'm wondering if someone can do this backrest based on the picture .. hmm..

You are right about the seat, it seems that it's the same seat as stock, it's not THAT hard but it will be a good idea to re-foaming it.. will it be too difficult to separate it and have 2 seats instead of one big seat? :?:

This weekend was a Bike's Convention here in CR, I noticed something.. there were about 500 bikes (Hondas, Yamahas, Harleys, Kawas) and I don't remember seeing one with a backrest or windshield ... they should be reading this forums to take advises, I bet there are a lot of guys on a similiar situations who don't know how to fix them hehe ..

Yesterday I used the bike for a couple of hours, remembering to sit up straight.. there's still a light pain but I think it's going away...

Have a great week ! :!:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Bullzyet hit it on the nose, You have a 1985 bike. Mine is a 1986 and I think when I looked it up, protac only would fit to a 1987. I would check their site or e-mail them to be sure. You should try a sleeping bag or fill a backpack to rest against first to see if you like it and it helps. Tombstone makes a strap on round storgage bag with back rest. Some one posted a site that would re stuff your seat with medicail grade foam, I -e-mailed them and they never replyed. Looking for a saddleman or corbin seat for these years is not an option didn't make them those years. A cheap way to do it is get a Crazy Creek canoe air blow up seat for 15 -20 dollars. This is what I'm going to try. good luck

·
Registered
113 Posts
I find I am able to ride alot longer since I started working out. 30 minutes at the Y 2 - 3 times a week has made a major difference.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts