Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't want to leave 2020 emptyhanded. Learn a language, take ballet lessons, something! White goattees and ballet don't mix, so...

Get my permit, break the news to the wife, pass the safety course, and...nothing to ride.

Somehow, I ended up on the Kawasaki forum. Good folks, great advice, might end up on a Vulcan. Finger on the trigger for a Vulcan S, but used prices aren't great, so maybe wait until Spring. Bahm! A 2005 Honda Spirit 750 appears on Christmas Eve. Super clean, 2 owners, what the heck. Best part, the Mrs. swooped in at the 11th hour and paid for it.

Best Christmas ever!

I still look hard at Vulcan 900s, as well as Triumph Speedmasters, but am very happy to be out riding, before it gets bitter cold, and I highly doubt I'll ever sell the Shadow. My wife said I can't have more than one bike. But she bought the first one, sooo technically I haven't bought "my" bike yet...

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,642 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Bikes are addicting. Don't turn the lights off in the garage, they mysteriously multiply. I don't know how it happened but now I have 3.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Bikes are addicting. Don't turn the lights off in the garage, they mysteriously multiply. I don't know how it happened but now I have 3.
It’s water from the pavement... like magwai... you get it wet, it multiplies... Do Not gas up after midnight!

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Kudos! The Spirit 750 is a great bike. Likewise so is the Vulcan 900. The two are entirely different in weight and handling. My wife rides a Vulcan 900, I ride a Spirit 1100. My longer wheelbase and shallower rake make the Spirit a nice, even, relaxing rider. I sometimes do push her to the edge, but it takes more work because of the wheelbase and rake angle. When I jump on her Vulcan 900, it is closer in ratios to a sportbike. The turn in feel is crisper and more deliberate than my Spirit. Her bike weighs more than my 1100, but yet it feels more nimble just because of the rake angle and rider position. Just decide to how want to ride. I personally have schooled my sportbike buddies on my Spirit, but I raced for about 15 years and know how to push a bike. These “stunt” guys fall short on turning and burning!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Thetimmerman thanks for the insight. If I'm reading you correctly, you're telling me it's a bit easier to turn the Vulcan? I've had a couple "interesting" turns on the Spirit thus far.

1 - I was making a U turn, saw my landscaper, thought I might stop and pay...uh, is anyone paying attention to the bike??? Took the turn a bit wide. Front tire touched into the wet grass, back tire then went completely into the grass. The trick was to wait it out, but accelerate as soon as possible, because the traffic there is unforgiving. The second that rear tire touched asphalt, I was on the throttle.

2 this is really more a turning. I was making a U turn, with my full attention this time, I was doing maybe 10MPH, but was running out of room, so I leaned it more than I thought it might take. No road traffic, and I needed to see how far it would go. I was shocked that I pulled it off. still, if I'm reading your point, the Vulcan might have been easier to push through that turn?

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
It’s different. It responds quicker. But experience will get you better on any bike. I’m used to my Spirit, and it’s an 1100, so I have no problem maneuvering it around easily. The Vulcan is bigger and heavier than my Spirit, but the steering angle negates that. Depends on how you ride. I like my nice relaxing Spirit, but I’m not past taking the ‘ol lady’s Vulcan out to hit some turns more aggressively. (Side note: I regularly drag my pegs and boot heels through turns on my Spirit, but that’s just me!)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts