Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading about hitting the tank for the horn by Bjorn I thought we might all need more laughs from when we first started riding.

I'll start with my funny new rider mishaps many years ago.
1. My first few rides were out in some dirt fields through a wooded area. I knew nothing about countersteering. I was following some very sharp trails and I kept running off into the bushes.
2. When first riding my neck would get tired really quick from the wind resistance and the weight of the helmet.
3. My first night time riding experience. I would ride by a light and something would woosh by me, my shadow.
4. I was used to stopping cars. I would approach a stop sign or light and stop way short.
5. The first time I was riding at high speeds and pulled a hand off the bars I nearly changed lanes because of the balance change.

·
Registered
2001 VT750 Shadow Spirit
329 Posts
Was the first time I dropped the bike. On a cool morning went out to ride. Started the bike to let it idle and warm up. Put my jacket, gloves and helmet on. Hopped on the bike pushed in the choke put in gear and off I went, got to the end of the driveway looked left and right. Then gave it some throttle as I pulled out to go left. Bike died and fell over. Bike would turn over but not start. Turns out I forgot to turn the petcock on. Haven't made that mistake again.

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
2,017 Posts
On a borrowed bike. Long ride home from owners place, stopped along the way to fuel up. Next morning, off to work I go. Just after getting up to speed on the highway,it sputtered and dies. Cranked and cranked but no restart. Fuel valve was on so....we started pushing it along the side of the highway back towards a gas station. This is early winter so I had a few layers on and boy was it getting hot. After stopping for a moment to cool down, I thought about the "reserve". Flipped the valve to reserve and it fired right up. :rolleyes:. Haven't made that mistake again.....yet.

·
Premium Member
'08 Spirit 750
113 Posts
I was 9 when my dad taught me to ride, on an old Cushman scooter with the "mash to the floor" ratchet kick starter.

He wouldn't let me ride it alone while he was at work, so one day I stole it and rode it all over base. Even stopped by a girl I liked and offered her a ride (she declined). Put it back such that he didn't know I'd done it.

He got called in to the base commander's office eventually (unheard of for a mere sargeant) who wanted to know why he'd let his son try to take said commander's daughter for a ride.

Oops. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2014 Honda Shadow Aero
26 Posts
My first week with my bike, I made the first trek to my girlfriend's house. Was the first night my bike wasn't in a garage overnight. I pulled into her driveway, helmet and gloves off, and immediately threw my bike cover over it. I still have melted plastic on my exhaust and a good sized hole in my cover 😅

1 - 6 of 6 Posts