Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What's good my fellow brothers (respectively sisters!) I'm Chris 38 never even thought riding a bike might be a interest or even fun all the sudden I got this wild hair grow on my @%$ and decided I'm taking a msf class and even bought a honda cbr 250 b4 I'd still ever touched a bike 馃槀 seeing that "beautiful bike" (馃槀馃ぃ). Was a sudden dream and reality in one I bought it passed my msf class after failing miserable on the u turn on the test, I had to hit a church parking lot and work it so much 馃き but I realized in 2 days 250 was embarrassing even though the sport bike looked sleek and attractive I knew better so it stung I sold it 3 days later and bought what Iv fallen in love with my 97 Honda Shadow Spirit Vt1100c it was in damn near showroom condition only issue I knew right away from how long it took him to get the bike too me from when he left too sell it and warning me only BC I'm a new rider if the overheat light ever came on simply just pull over no big deal if you don't drive with it on or you'll fry the engine then a big deal but its never came on for me ..... Dude had the bike for a week before selling her didn't even have title in mail yet from buying it 馃槀

Light does come on twice
and i notice on the right side radiator reflector light by the pipes is PARTIALLY MELTED I smell hot coolant still full radiator and res with no noticeable coolant leaks my dad rides a Harley and made me feel crazy saying just imagining a smell and all bikes get hot blah blah I paid 250 for a rent of a radiator pressure test kit at auto zone and only under 15 psi found leaks in the hoses! All them Jesu's not a LOT but enough too sizzle and burn on engine! I also removed the thermostat I feel it only opened half way but I could be wrong I'll attach pictures! Lmk please ! I live in Arizona so I'm not afraid to run without a therm just being aware of letting bike warm up longer than normal b4 leaving from a cold start so its warm enough... I like to do ANY work whatsoever myself I'm also going to keep this claim true when the engine poops if that's possible I read Honda is a monster of reliable and a beast if you maintain it fully and repair the issues as soon as they happen as I thoughly enjoy too do.... Talk to me girl what's wrong ... I don't like even a slight vibration change...why k boom let's fix it!
For me that's half the fun of riding is fixing her back to perfection I'm finding pride in it but that being said the thermostat housing split was not the funnest thing I have ever done it really surprised me how little room I had and what I had to endure but felt good when my bike stopped smelling like coolant and even my KEY was becoming hot from 3 4 miles riding I knew it was wrong the key is now barley warm at best !

I threw some what I thought would be fancy after market plugs in her thinking maybe I'd get even more than 105 top speed however my bike ran terrible rough ****ty mpg 40 -80 per tank loss!! Also max speed dropped too 85 before it acted fuel starved and would sputter sometimes doing it at 75 had massive power overall loss don't know why it took me so long to understand and self diagnose plugs or wires but I put NGK in and instantly she's running flawless like Iv been expecting especially after running a can if Seafoam through 3 tanks gas nice n rich mixtureth
And through the crank case in my oil for 300 miles while I was inside for the housing I inspected every wire hose o ring between engine coils everything is emaculate, the jerk trying to pass off what he thought was a bad break and scared really did me one massive favor!
I paid 2300 for her she's a 97 had 18k original miles on it so I'm riding a brand new bike discounted BC he was lazy!
Iv bought led h4 lights on it and the speedometer light needs replaced but she's drove me to Iowa from Arizona (1490mi) and back like a B E A S T
I made that road my #&$%@ even though it rained the whole way from Iowa to Arizona border!
I am starting CDL school next week be on the road 3 weeks the month no rent making mad money means I'll always be buying new bikes and old bikes fixing just FINALLY enjoying life for real and shocked I found a way to love life without drugs ! Ride on much respect my fellow brothers !

Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
Welcome to the forum. I suggest Honda coolant because I have had an issue with after market coolant. These radiators are very touchy. Read the burping procedure and make sure you don't have an air space in the radiator. Check your fan circuit to make sure the electric fan is operating correctly. That is a nice looking bike.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Read the burping procedure and make sure you don't have an air space in the radiator. Check your fan circuit to make sure the electric fan is operating correctly. That is a nice looking bike.
Thanks for the comments i did burp her appreciate the respect and tips given ! I couldn't find Honda juice in my area of iowa however I do want to switch it too that, the fan is working no issues there thankfully

Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
You may want to check your actual temperature with an infrared thermometer. Maybe it is not actually overheating. It sounds like you pretty much checked it out properly. The only other thing I can think of if it is still getting hot would be if the radiator needs a thourough cleaning with a flush agent to unclog it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Appreciate the tips!
Looks like I'm starting cdl class in Colorado this week so Iv been ripping her around town really putting her through can you handle it and just have been punching it every stop light to 5 over the 45 speed meaning I get into 5th gear flawless awell as 85 on interstate even in 100 temp outside she's ran flawless not even suspicion she's hotter than normal even without actually light on, see b4 i could tell it was hotter than normal but no red light however if I ran it I KNEW it would pop as it did twice same day trying leave az to Ia and I carefully wash and degreased her at the car wash too make sure just a heat coming from bike when she's ran hard all satisfactory at this point!

Too think I got some lucky on a bike from someone who just was lazy! I can't wait to start buying broken bikes to repair 馃きNext 10 months I'll be on the road 3 weeks out the month home 3 days by home I mean friends or hotel and buying a new bike over and over 馃弽馃憣鉁

Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
Appreciate the tips!
Looks like I'm starting cdl class in Colorado this week so Iv been ripping her around town really putting her through can you handle it and just have been punching it every stop light to 5 over the 45 speed meaning I get into 5th gear flawless awell as 85 on interstate even in 100 temp outside she's ran flawless not even suspicion she's hotter than normal even without actually light on, see b4 i could tell it was hotter than normal but no red light however if I ran it I KNEW it would pop as it did twice same day trying leave az to Ia and I carefully wash and degreased her at the car wash too make sure just a heat coming from bike when she's ran hard all satisfactory at this point!

Too think I got some lucky on a bike from someone who just was lazy! I can't wait to start buying broken bikes to repair 馃きNext 10 months I'll be on the road 3 weeks out the month home 3 days by home I mean friends or hotel and buying a new bike over and over 馃弽馃憣鉁
I just got my CDL about 2 years ago. I work for the school district and I only haul the backhoe, dumptrucks, tree trimming truck, bucket truck and that kind of stuff. I am home every evening so I'm good with that. Good luck on getting that CDL. I had never really backed trailers with mirrors only so I had to get that down. I usually looked over my shoulder and had no problems. It was different for me when you can use mirrors only though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts