Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You'll laugh. Before I rode to work yesterday, I looked in the tank to check fuel level. With the bike level I could barely see fuel. I'm thinking 'well that's at least a gallon, and it's only eight miles to work.' Off I go, but on the way home at 11:30 pm, the engine studders and stops at 50 mph. In a panic, I reach under the tank and switch the petcock to reserve, and off she goes. Thank you Honda! Needless to say I stopped at the next 711 and filled up.

I'm under the impression that many riders just go until they have to switch to reserve, then stop for gas? I have no idea how far my 2009 750 Spirit can go on reserve. How do you decide it's time to fuel up?

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
If I'm on a trip, I wait till I hit reserve then look for gas. After my sanity rides I top off the tank as I might ride or not for a few days. Keeping the tank full helps keep rust at bay.

·
Premium Member
7,678 Posts
Your mileage may vary. When you hit reserve often enough, you'll figure it out.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The street I was on has no shoulder, just curbs. Had I been totally out of gas, I would have been stopped in the right lane with no way to get off the street. I don't think I could have pushed the bike three or four hundred yards to the next exit. Leaving the bike parked on the far side of the lane at night sounds like a potential disaster. In that case I would have called 911.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Set your trip to zero at fill up. Ride til you have to switch to reserve. Check mileage. Just don't forget to put you petcock back to "on" after you fill up or the next time you need to switch to reserve, you'll be totally out of gas. Ask me how I know.

If I switch to reserve, I get into the habit of flipping the keyhole cover over on my gas cap. That will remind me to turn the petcock back to "on".

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
You'll get used to it and math is your friend.

Use your odometer & the "Gallons" counter when you fill up. My tank holds ~3.5 gallons with ~1 gallon after reserve. If I get ~35mpg, I expect to flip to reserve at about 90 miles on the odometer and can get about 120 on the tank. If I flip the switch at 75 miles (like in a strong headwind, weighted down, riding fast, or a bad tank of fuel), I have to find a stop before 100 miles.

Flip the cover on your fuel cap when you flip to reserve. This will remind you to turn the petcock back to "ON" when you get to a station. If you forget to flip, the next time it sputters you WILL be out of gas & luck.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I dont wait until I hit reserve, I fill at around 100 miles.... long trips I stretch it further as solid running I get more from a tank, I have 18 miles on reserve (last time I checked..get better miles now) but more if I lean the bike to get the last of the fuel to the tap..

·
Registered
323 Posts
I dont wait until I hit reserve, I fill at around 100 miles.... long trips I stretch it further as solid running I get more from a tank, I have 18 miles on reserve (last time I checked..get better miles now) but more if I lean the bike to get the last of the fuel to the tap..
Agreed. As a Virgo, I start freaking out at 100. Don't think I have ever had it past that.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've only hit reserve once on my 2005 Spirit 1100 and the trip meter read 237 kms. One hundred miles is about 160 kms, so the range isn't too bad for a cruiser. I try to fill up between 180 to 200 kms for peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
like mentioned earlier figure out your average per tank, before having to switch to reserve, fill up zero odometer, run till you have to hit reserve, make mental note, couple of goes it will give you a good average, on my bike I go about 120 miles before having to think about fuel, or having to switch to reserve, so on trips I look at map to make sure I can make it between gas stop, or if I have to fill up earlier some place becasue I may not find fuel.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I usually top off, or at least start looking for a gas station around 90 miles.
I know I'm good for at least 120 miles, but I never wait until I hit reserve because running out of gas during my commute on a busy interstate full of insane cagers is something I don't want to deal with, even for a moment. :shock:

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
My 08 750 Spirit will go 156 miles on average before I hit reserve. Use your trip meter and when you start getting up towards 140, start Looking for a gas station. If you're out in the boonies, get gas when you can get gas. Twice I've been on long rides, in the evening, and when I pulled into my planned gas stop, the station was gone. That's a pretty sickening feeling.
You'll learn your scoot and your driving habits. When you do you'll be able to manage your fuel.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thats how I ride. Plus knowing how many miles you can get out of a normal tank then go to reserve at your will. I took a little half Gal fuel can with me first time to find out how many miles I can get on reserve. That way I knew my fuel plan. That way I know i get day and a half ride time.
Some people don't like going to reserve because of tank trash, but if they are worried about that clean the tank.

·
Registered
17,972 Posts
Know your Bike!
26 miles after I flip to Reserve is ALL it`ll get...

I have forgotten to switch to ON while I filled up ONCE...

As I know my Bike fairly well, IF I`m going to park my Bike before I refuel, I`ll roll the tripometer to 777 when I flip the switch to Res, soas to remind me I`m on Reserve...
I also try to remember to flip the fuel switch to ON when I park, IF I haven`t refueled, so when I get back on the Bike, 3 miles down the road, I get reminded I`m outta gas... ;)

Different strokes for different folks, but this is what works for me & my forgetfulness...

Know your Bike!
Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
NorTex, you should be able to make about 20 miles once you flip to reserve. I've made it from the 635/75 mix master all the way back to Allen all on reserve.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Know your bike's mpg range with the odometer and fuel fill mpg calculations. I prefer not taking my bike into a possible reserve mode situation because I don't like pushing my my bike to the next available gas station. :wink:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry if this is hijacking the thread. I'm a new rider as well and I have a question about petcock-switching strategy. Can the switch be turned and the engine restarted at speed? I had to drive onto a median the day after buying my Shadow to switch into reserve because I overestimated the amount of fuel the seller included in the tank. That seems more dangerous than reaching down and switching.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Sorry if this is hijacking the thread. I'm a new rider as well and I have a question about petcock-switching strategy. Can the switch be turned and the engine restarted at speed? I had to drive onto a median the day after buying my Shadow to switch into reserve because I overestimated the amount of fuel the seller included in the tank. That seems more dangerous than reaching down and switching.
Once you get more accustomed to your bike, you'll find that it can easily be switched while driving. As to answer your question, make sure you're clutch is in and in an appropriate gear for your speed.

If you catch it on the first sputter, the engine shouldn't completely die. Mine doesn't. I feel the bike start to hesitate, and I reach down to flip the switch and resume my trip, with a detour to a gas station.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No problem Muninn. Yesterday when I ran out of gas, the engine stopped. I was going about fifty and didn't use the clutch. I had to use my left hand to turn the petcock. When I switched to reserve the engine started immediately.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I fill up when my light turns on. On long trips I fill up when I can. I also carry a msr quart bottle with gas iny saddle bag just in case. I don't have a reserve just a "better fill up soon" light.

Dingo.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts