Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm new to the whole riding seen. Is there something I should know about riding a Honda when it comes to Harley riders? I was in a Harley dealer the other day because they also have a huge range of riding apparel which I have none of. Not all Harley branded. I was looking through coats and a guy asked if he could help me and I told him no just browsing. He hangs around and starts asking what kind of riding I will be doing and I told him I'm learning so just around town for now. He asked what I was riding and I told him a Honda Aero. His eyes bugged out like I had told him his daughter was dating one of the Hanson boys. He told me to bring in my bike and he would work with me on a trade for a real bike. I was insulted and left with nothing but whats the deal. Both companies are good so why the attitude?

·
Registered
294 Posts
grengar said:
Ok so I'm new to the whole riding seen. Is there something I should know about riding a Honda when it comes to Harley riders? I was in a Harley dealer the other day because they also have a huge range of riding apparel which I have none of. Not all Harley branded. I was looking through coats and a guy asked if he could help me and I told him no just browsing. He hangs around and starts asking what kind of riding I will be doing and I told him I'm learning so just around town for now. He asked what I was riding and I told him a Honda Aero. His eyes bugged out like I had told him his daughter was dating one of the Hanson boys. He told me to bring in my bike and he would work with me on a trade for a real bike. I was insulted and left with nothing but whats the deal. Both companies are good so why the attitude?
You'll get that alot, Everyone thinks Harley the king, Even non-riders always think If it's not a Harley then it's not a bike. It's always been that way, probably always will be, In my opinion, Harley is overrated, I don't hate Harley, I do like a couple of their bikes, But I don't see the point in spending that much money on something that is still just like everyone elses. If I was going to spend that much on a bike, I'd be stopping at the local Victory dealer before I'd even consider a Harley.

You'll find alot of Harley riders are the same, But not all. I've found a couple Harley riders that are nice people and it doesn't matter to them what you drive, a bike is a bike. But I've had one guy last summer, He's a person that thinks they know everything, anyways I went into the local cafe one morning and he was sitting there, He asked "where do you work?" I said "across the street" and he replied with "You work there and you ride a harley?" (with a surprised face) I told him "Nope, I work there and ride a Honda" ...he's never said a word to me since, Yep, that shut him up :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've seen some of that attitude, but, frankly, not a lot. Some Harley riders, I think, have an air of quiet superiority, but most are pretty good about keeping it confined. I rarely run across jerks like that--most hold that so long as you ride, it's all good.

By the by, none other than Sonny Barger, legendary former president of the Hells Angels (who is often erroneously credited with founding the club), HATES Harleys with a passion. Says they're unreliable, overpriced and under-performing. In his autobiography, he says the Angels, if they were smart, would ride BMWs or ST1100's (it was published a couple years before the ST1300 came out). And Barger knows motorcycles. Besides riding them, he's an expert mechanic. When I encounter someone with a Harley Complex, I often mention this. It can work wonders in bringing folks back to earth.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Harley has done one heck of a job in marketing. And they're clothes rock! it's over priced but still cool. But it's still just another motorcycle.

About the only time I get this attitude is from people who actually don't have a bike. "I'd only ride a harley"the say, then I say, "Oh, what to you ride?" the reply is usually, "I'm saving up". Yea right, good luck w/ that.
In the mean time I'll keep riding mine. It seems to be able to go everywhere a harley can go.

And as a friend of mine says, "it's not what you ride, it's that you ride".

·
Registered
871 Posts
Went to a big car/bike cruise in last summer and this dude I know saw me on my Sabre. First of all when he saw me he thought my bike was a Harley. Then he asked my why I hadn't driven my hot rod Camaro to the crusie in. I told him I wanted to ride my Honda instead. He then made a comment about my Honda being in a car show that is for American muscle cars. I then asked him if he had a bike and he said he didn't have one. I then asked him if he had a hot rod car to put in the show and he indicated he didn't have one of those either. Then I explained to him my Honda is made in America.................

·
Registered
943 Posts
correct me if I'm wrong..........but arn't many parts on a harley made in Japan or China now.

I had heard ( not sure its true) that most of the frame is even shipped out now.

I think there is something to the Harley mystique, and the feeling of riding one, but many people who have been riding a while, care more about the ride and not the brand, just my opinion

·
Registered
111 Posts
Shadow Kat said:
Harley has done one heck of a job in marketing. And they're clothes rock! it's over priced but still cool. But it's still just another motorcycle.

About the only time I get this attitude is from people who actually don't have a bike. "I'd only ride a harley"the say, then I say, "Oh, what to you ride?" the reply is usually, "I'm saving up". Yea right, good luck w/ that.
In the mean time I'll keep riding mine. It seems to be able to go everywhere a harley can go.

And as a friend of mine says, "it's not what you ride, it's that you ride".
The clothes do rock. I have a pair of Harley winter gloves with gauntlets. Not waterproof, and not billed as waterproof, but great when the temps go down.

They are made in China. Ummm...

·
Registered
183 Posts
I regularly shop at harley stores in every town I ride in. They are always very friendly and helpful. Those true enthusiasts I speak with always have the same response when I tell them I like MY areo and would not trade it for anything. they say GREAT! Glad you like it!. Different people like different bikes. I love the low ride the Aero gives me.

Those who might accuse me of saying so because I can't afford a harley, Well, I have one of those too. my wife rides it. Different bikes different fits.

·
Registered
270 Posts
grengar said:
Small peckers.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The people that think the only 'real' bike is a Harley are the same ones that think the best wristwatch is a Rolex.

Just because something has the highest brand-recognition doesn't mean it's the best.

You can't make someone see the light when his head is up his butt.
-K

·
Registered
88 Posts
Harley parts......

Here are a few things on a HD that are not made here. The wheels, they're made in Japan. Rear and front shocks, they're made by Showa the same company that makes them for Honda. I've also heard that Showa is a wholy owned subsidiary of Honda. Brake rotors, Japan. The speedometers, they're made by Nipon Seiki, also in Japan. Carburators, at least up until they went FI were Mikuni, Japan. After that I'm sure things like handlebars, horn covers...little bits a pieces are made over seas. About the only things probably that are made here are the engines, tins and frames.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
You know, I've only run into "an attitude" on a couple of ocassions out of hundreds if not more interactions with Harley Riders. As a whole they are some of the nicest people I know. Now some of the wannabees are a different matter but then they aren't Harley owners.

The one guy that was the worst was this character with Harley plastered across the back window of his PU, the requisite T-Shirt who just had to make numerous comments in my direction about my "Jap" and "rice masher" bike. I asked him if he owned a Harley and he hesitated which I took as a no so I said something like the following.

"You know about the bike heirarchy don't you? At the top we have American Iron, Harley, Indian, Victory, then the European Bikes, then the Jap bikes and then there's the wannabees who no one cares what they think because they aren't biker and if you aren't a biker, then you are nothing. I'm a biker, I ride a motorcycle, you don't which means I have a whole lot more in common with every person on a Harley than you do with all that stuff you're struttin around in. Real Harley riders understand that, now so do you."

Feel free to use this if needed..... :D

·
Registered
462 Posts
Ditto the non-riders attitudes. What's up with that? I have a guy at work that comments about my non-Harley. Saying stuff like "When I get my Harley....." It has been a couple of years now. I just keep riding!!!! Then there is the guy who actually owns a Harley, he invites me to ride with him. Go figure!!!

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
I had an experience like yours, in the local Harley place. I think the guy actually thought he could intimidate me into buying a Harley. His tough luck, I can actually afford a Harley. I've also been in Harley dealerships that are the litmus test for what all dealerships should be like no matter what they're selling.

I've had alot of people tell me that real men ride Harley's etc. None of them rode. All the Harley riders I ever met look at my bike and say things like "Nice bike, how does it handle?" I guess branders are different from bikers.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Kframe said:
The people that think the only 'real' bike is a Harley are the same ones that think the best wristwatch is a Rolex.

Just because something has the highest brand-recognition doesn't mean it's the best.

You can't make someone see the light when his head is up his butt.
-K
Exactly , the best watch is a Patek Phillip . But most people would never recognise one on someones wrist . And they start at around $25,000.00 and have gone up to a million .

·
Registered
64 Posts
I ride with some harley riders and not all of them are that way. You will find that there are some good and bad riders on all sides and that includes the sport bike crowd. One Harley ride if I ride with is [ if it aint a Harley it aint a real bike].But he only owns [ 1 ] bike'.. Another friend ;; i have lunch with him alot own a Harley and a Honda. to him it just about riding..But my good friend Mike this guys loaded could ride anything he wants. Rides a Kaw 2000. just because he likes it. And because he blows harleys off the road. he also has a sport tourer. Hes own harleys in the past and says that they dont do anything real good just sounds good.Dont pay them no mind . Riding about the journey not the brand.If you looking for gear try www.denniskirk.com or try your local honda,yamaha kaw.or suzki dealer

1 - 20 of 20 Posts