Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.Nice site.

Ok so here is my issue. I bought a 2002 shadow vt1100c2 from michigan and had it shipped to calgary canada. It came with a k&n air filter and cobra pipes.
The problem is @ about 60mph it starts to chug like its out of gas.Would this be the jets due to coming from sea level to 3500 feet above. if it is jets can someone recommend which ones.. thanks in advance for your help

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Can't give you any info on the jets, but, I'd check the plugs and see what they look like, take a look here http://www.dansmc.com/Spark_Plugs/Spark_Plugs_catalog.html then I'd also check my A/F mixture screws, set them at 3.0 turns from a lighyly seated position and see what happens, I'm sure others will chime in with some better tech info on the jetting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the link :lol: The plugs are brand new. The bad thing is the temp is going below -5c and i don't ride below that way to cold.Any suggestions while i wait for it to warm up a bit??

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
It may be more YOU. Got the 5-speed right? At 60mph the 1100's are in a "luggin'/chuggin' " area of the rpm. Give it some gas and get to 70mph...the bike runs better...right??? It's the nature of these bikes and the 5-speed tranny. It might need an adjustment with the "idle air mixtures" though...nothing drastic.

Maybe just a switch back to the "stock" air filter will help some, but if the bike was "properly jetted/idle screws adjusted" it should be running pretty good.

Bullzeyet

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats the problem I can't really get past 60mph very easily twice i think i had it above..if i crack on it it bogs if i don't and i baby it it bogs i have played a bit with the air mixture but i have not tried going back to the original filter i will try that thank you...some people might ask why i need it to go faster.well the speed limit is 80mph on average,on the freeway.I am not a speed demon but when carrying the wife i need to keep up in order to feel safe.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
When you get to the point where it is bogging, slide on a little choke and see if that helps or makes it worse.

Probably wasn't jetted correctly if at all. That is why you were given the link to the spark plugs.....they tell you what is going on at different speeds, to help diagnose the problem in the three jet/throttle positions,
IDLE/ MID-Throttle / Wide Open Throttle

Dicking with the air fuel mixture screws does nothing or at best almost nothing outside of the the idle circuit, it will have no affect on the problem you are having. Changing back to a stock air filter will have more affect on the High Mid Range to WOT (when the bike is trying to suck more air).

If it has not been jetted properly it is either trying to suck more air than the Main Jet size can supply fuel (lean condition), or if it can't get enough air to satisfy the fuel the main jet is dumping you have a rich condition. Hence reading NEW spark plugs after a WOT run, then killing the ignition and coasting off the the side of the road will give you good indictation of the problem.

The other alternative is to take it to a shop with a DYNO and let them make it right.....probably run you about $500 if they have to rejet, but it will be right - no guessing.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Eldorado wasn't asking about the plugs to know if they were new or not. He was asking because he was curious about the color of them. It's good that they were new when you started, since you know their starting point as being new, bright, white. Pull one out, and see what it's telling you. Is your bike running too rich, too lean? Is it running "just right?" From there, you'll know what you need to correct to get your bike running better.

Also, just as an experiment, ride the bike right up to 70MPH in 4th gear. Don't shift into 5th. The bike has a rev-limiter, so don't worry about redline, just give it some gas. When you get it up to 70MPH, shift into 5th, and see what it runs like. If you start to slow down, it's time to work on the bike. But, if it likes running at 70 in 5th gear, then now you know what the engine sounds like in it's power band, and you can adjust your riding style to take advantage of it.

Remember that these V-Twins are relatively short-stroke. They don't have the massive torque of a Harley. They do much, much better in the upper RPM ranges. The engines are nearly indestructible, so don't think that the engine revving faster will shorten it's life any. It will extend it!

Let us know about your spark plug reading.

--Justin

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok i will..Thanks everyone :D when weather turns good in about 2weeks i am going to hit this hard..and if no outcome to the dyno it goes....i will let you know my results...keith

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just a little add-on question for you:

You mentioned "with the wife"; is there any difference whether you have a rider or not? I'm about 325 and though risky I'll tell you - my wife is about 180 (she's almost 6' tall). I don't really trust my 1100 to carry both of us. I'm not insinuating anything at all here but just wondering if the problem is compounded by additional weight at 60 mph in 5th gear. I have a four speed and my bike will chug and buck if I ride it in 4th any slower than 45-ish. 45 in 4th : 60 in 5th = chug and buck... seems logical to me. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I don't think anybody has ask if you know how long the bike had been setting before you got it?? if the bike has been seeting for awhile you may have some carburetor issues, that MAY require wrenching to fix like,
Removing the carbs,
taking them apart and cleaning them on the inside.

The Sabre's don't have the lugging problem's that the Spirit's have.
%5"AMarkC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts