Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my first wreck yesterday morning. A young guy turned left in front of me (initiating a U-turn). I was able to slow, but not stop, and I hit his rear passenger door with my front wheel. It threw me off the bike, but I had slowed enough that I just went off the right side of the handlebars. Anyway, the forks got bent, along with the front wheel. The tire didn't burst and doesn't appear misshapen. Am I okay to just keep that tire? The Honda dealer didn't include one in the estimate, even though they are replacing the rim as one of the many items that they are fixing.

Thoughts

BTW - I am fine. I walked away with only a scraped elbow and some residual soreness in my muscles (probably from tensing my muscles before the impact).

·
Premium Member
7,001 Posts
Well if it bent the wheel, it couldn't have been good on the tire. After a collision, you never know it there's internal damage to the integrity of the tire. I personally would replace it to be safe. Losing a front tire at speed could be pretty ugly. Did you ask the dealer why he didn't include the tire. Was it pretty far gone already and not worth anything? Glad you came out of it ok.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
You have spokes (2005 Honda Shadow Spirit VT750DCB), which means a tube, which means you should get a new tube ($30) to hold the air that keeps the tire round. Even without seeing it, I'm confident the tire is fine.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
I would ask the dealer who is giving the repair, quote "open pending further unseen damages during the repairs". They may find that the tire and other parts were damaged during the repair process.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I cry foul! the rim wires that hold the tire rim to the wheel rim could very well have been knocked ****eyed. You won't notice it until you ride it and then that could lead to the UNMENTIONABLE! A guy was riding about 100 feet ahead of me when his extra helmet fell off of his bike and it made about four bounces with me trying everything (including stopping from speed) to keep out of its track. Well the last bounce put it directly into my front tire. The next day I had to purchase a new tire because not only the cord wires were flattened in that area, but the sidewall also had a small tear. The rim checked out to be true, I was lucky there. DO NOT SCREW AROUND WITH IT. REPLACE TIRE AS WELL AS THE TUBE AND HAVE THE RIM CHECKED FOR TRUE. Your life could be in the balance!

·
Registered
10,202 Posts
Insurance will fight the cost of a new tire, but I would demand it!
Anything that got damaged or could have been damaged should be replaced. Riding gear get scratched or hit the ground? Helmet touch the road or the car? Replace it!

·
Registered
16,422 Posts
State Farm sent me a reminder that I have insurance, I pay the premiums and that I do have a say in what happens to my motorcycle in the repair shop...

Just wanted to add this note,
D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts