Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow Honda riders, I have a question for you all about when to replace a tire ? ( Longevity )

Long story short....I basically bought this bike a couple of years ago from a guy that never rode it....it had like 2800 miles on it when I took it over.....now it has around 5500 miles.

Since it has tread still left on it....the tires have some cracks showing in the rubber. Is this something to be worried about ? or should I continue to ride them down to the wear bars ? The bike has been in the garage for all of its life and not neglected.

So do you think I should just go ahead and get some new tires ? or ride these until they are ready to be retired ! No pun intended ! :mrgreen:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
Several things to be taken into consideration.

You have spoked rims, which more likely than not means tubed tires. This means I would probably run them a little longer than I would if they were tubeless.

It's hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like the front rubber is close to the wear bars already, so I might just replace that one now, and as long as I was changing the front......

It also matters how hard and under what circumstances these tires will be used. Casual putt, likely more OK than high performance twisties

These cracks are common in older tires. I haven't seen such tires fail, yet. However, how far to run any tire is a very personal decision.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
There is another thread on here talking about tires, I would say at this time I would just replace both of them and that way you know that you have good rubber for a few years of riding without worry, unless you pick up a nail or something............just my 2 cents............don't know how old your ride is?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input.....ANd I guess I didn't mention that the bike has original tires and is a 2003. :shock:

I will look into pricing new tires soon.....while were at it any suggestions for brand ?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Avon Venom replacements on my spirit VT1100.
Long wear and decent price.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
i would change the tres!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i just put a set of mets 880 on the Sabre today not cheap but
i do like the way they preform.
metzeler is definitely the way to go! great tires!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
The front looks worse than the rear. If funds are tight you could always replace the front now, and wait on the rear a bit longer. Both tires do look to be considerably dry rotted, so while the tread still looks good I'd have to wonder if their ability to adhere to the road surface has been compromised, and if so to what degree.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
8 year old tires? H*ll yeah, replace them now. If funds are tight, then quit riding until you can afford to.
When you do replace them make sure you check the manufacture date on the new tires... Don't want tires that sat in the shop for last 3 years either.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I also vote to replace the tires. They're old and cracking and I doubt they would be very safe on a wet road. Keep in mind the small "contact patch," or "footprint" motorcycle tires have. I want the best grip on the road as possible. I can't enjoy the ride as well if I am always worrying about my tires. When you sign on to be a motorcyclist you have to accept the fact that MC tires don't last very long as compared to cars and you've got to be prepared to replace as you need to.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Agree with Lantesh, having a rear go down is mostly inconvenient. Maintaining control if the front goes down fast can be downright dangerous. The rear looks passable to me. I am paranoid and would probably change it but I have ridden on cracked tires with way less tread OK. The downside is; a nail, wire, sharp gravel or screw can pierce the shrunken, brittle material easier. I'd run the rear but do the front for sure. Jez my $0.02

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Many, many thanks to all of you who have posted some input and recommendations for tires. I will be getting some this weekend !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.