Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just wanted to introduce myself and say thx for the site.

ive already found tons of useful information on here.

a little about me, my names tug, i live in memphis tennessee, and ive never even riden a motorcycle befor, but last year i was injured and in the hospital and at home laid up unable to walk for about 4 months and 4 more months of physical therepy . during this time i think i caught every single episode of shows like occ , biker build-off ect. it awoke my desire again to want to own and ride a motorcycle, which had been there since i was young.
so fast forward about a year and i found a deal on a 84 honda shadow vt500c. it was in pretty good shape cosmetically except the seat, no dents, no major scratches, the bike had been in storage since 1996 and only has about 10k miles on it. ofcourse it wasnt setup to be stored and needs alot of work. ive been working on cars since i was in jr high with my dad so a little work doesnt scare me. and i have some basic automotive knowledge that is helping out so far.
i plan on getting the bike back up and running and then taking a motorcycle riding course here at the local community college. personally i think it will be pretty cool my 1st bike im basically rebuilding the whole thing.
as of right now i have the seat off im going to try my hand at recovering it. i have the tank off, the liquid in it i think use to be gas 15 yrs ago. ive already gotten it cleaned out and ordered the por-15 kit to clean out the surface rust inside of it. ive done it befor in my dads 1929 ford. i have the rear fender off the bike i plan on making a custom fender for it with turn signals and brake lights. im also stripping off all the plastic pieces and plan to make my own covers probly out of aluminum. im also rewiring the front headlight and turnsignals, they had deleted the front signals and i just dont care for the rectangle headlight, i want a round one. the front brake doesnt work. the stuff or should i say sludge in the lines and resevoir i think use to be brake fluid lol, so ive taken it all off, i believe the resevoir is salvageable, ive already purchased a new line and next i will take off and take apart the caliper to see if its gonna be salvageable as well. i also plan on painting the bike, my initial gameplan is flat black with gloss black accents and flames. but that scheme is subject to change as it gets put back together.
well thats about all i can think of right now 8)

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Welcome and the unwritten rule (but still a rule none-the-less) pics of your progress or it didn't happen ;)

·
Registered
666 Posts
Welcome, you're at the right spot to find answers to questions you will have have during the rebuilt. Post picture as you go. Everyone likes pictures of work in progress.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
hers some pics so far
the 1st two were the day i got it,
the 1st is the trailor we had to dig it out of, and i mean literally
the 2nd is once we got it out, it was raining so i was able to " wash" off most the 15 yrs of dirt n dust on it
the 3rd one is how it sits as of today in my garage

thx for the " rules update " :lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
666 Posts
hers some pics so far
the 1st two were the day i got it,
the 1st is the trailer we had to dig it out of, and i mean literally
the 2nd is once we got it out, it was raining so i was able to " wash" off most the 15 yrs of dirt n dust on it
the 3rd one is how it sits as of today in my garage

thx for the " rules update " :lol:
Hey Markspike here's you a convertee

·
Registered
368 Posts
You've got a great project going there and I know it will look great when completed. Take plenty of pictures along the way for a before and after photo album. I've seen people do this with cars that had been neglected and then restored to show quality. It's great to see when someone rescues and restores a great old ride. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You've got a great project going there and I know it will look great when completed. Take plenty of pictures along the way for a before and after photo album. I've seen people do this with cars that had been neglected and then restored to show quality. It's great to see when someone rescues and restores a great old ride. Keep us posted!
i always do this with the cars we build, then make a photo album of befor n after.

thx to everyone for welcoming me aboard

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Enjoy putting it together. Knit pick the frame details while she's stripped down. Take pictures, and polish till your fingers cramp:)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome!! Is that a <<gasp>> CAR TIRE on the back of that thing????
im glad im not the only one that thought that thing looked like a monster

its completly bald and both tires have dry rotted. the guy i bought it from put it in a storage trailor in the very back of his property back in 96 b/c the tires were bald and he said it would have cost him more to replace both tires then he had in the bike so its sat in there since.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
welcome to the forum. you found the right place to help with your project. many knowleable people here. And you're going about this very smartly. One, joining this forum. 2. learning everything you can about your bike. 3. taking the MSF course. 4. saving and restoring a nice old bike. 5. documenting your progress.

congratulations on your find and good luck on your project. I hope you have recovered enough from your ailments to be able to ride long and hard.

once again, welcome to the forum and keep us posted.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thx NM Shadowman

i hope so to, my left leg was the one injured, i cant even begin to spell all the techincal names but my left calf was basically cut inhalf from my knee about 1/2 down and another cut about 7 - 4 inches from my ankle, took 55 stitches. then had surgery, then they sowed me back up with 60 stitches.
i had 2 nerves 75% cut and the main nerve in my leg cut completly in half. the tendon from my knee down was cut 100% in half aswell as all the muscles in my calf cut inhalf. so all of it had to be surgically repaired. its strong enough now to downshift a bike, upshifting is my concern, but it is still getting better. the surgeon told me it could take a year to a year n a half to full recovery, especially with the nerve damage.
im sure it will be fine and by time im ready to ride all will be well, hopefully this summer.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Have fun rebuilding the bike, most of my memorys were on the ones I build back up ,before the honey do list was around. Guess I can't complain too much, I was able to tear my Sporty down to the crank without the evil eye treatment.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
here is some updated info andpics of my progress so far.
ive gotten alot done, and i keep finding more things i want to do and have to be done.

so far ive taken apart everything on the front end, come to find out the bike had been laid down at one time. this is why they deleted the front turn signals, im sure they had gotten broke. it also broke the mount to the triple tree top piece that connects the headlight bracket. so i bought a used one and am in the process of replacing that.
i found a used front brake system complete that i drained and cleaned and im in the process of putting back on
im waiting for my headlight to get here, i bought a universal teardrop shaped headlight im going to make a brace for to make it work. once that get here ill put all of the front end parts togeteher since they have all been painted i dont want to scratch anything.
i used the por-15 on the tank it looks nice, been sitting for a week so it should be ready to go, i also rebuilt the petcock. i havent taken the carbs off yet to clean them and get them rebuilt yet though.
i got some new rubber for her thats waiting to go on
i got some led front and rear aftermarket signals and mounts worked out fixing to go on
got all the fluids for the bike ready to change all them out
also got 4 new plugs aswell
i need to get new wires while i have it apart ( any suggestions as to where to find those would be appreciated )
i removed the clutch cable, it had gotten scrapped up pretty bad when the bike was laid down. new one has been ordered.
im fixing to take off the front fender to fix 1 small dent and then get it painted. the rear fender is already removed and im in the process of figuring out how to do it. i know what i want, and how id like it to look. i just need to figure out what exactly im going to need to do to get it there.

im actually having alot of fun doing everything to it so far, with the exception of the tank cleaning and sealing lol, that took all day 1 day then a good part of the next day.

im really hoping that if things go smoothly to have it ready to hit the road in probly about 2 months.

pic 1 : pebbles in the gas tank , there were about 30 in there???
pic 2 : after the clean and seal
pic 3 : parts i took off, cleaned and beed blasted befor they got pianted
pic 4 : front end electrical dis.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts