Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
1,595 Posts
I just got a 2005 750 aero with cobra pipes they look really good on the bike but to loud for me. Is there anyway to silence them.some without getting an original exhaust system ?
I believe that you can purchase baffles from Cobra for your pipes. Check out their website.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
18,747 Posts
Homemade lollipop baffles are cheap, easy and adjustable.

Reactions: "Captain D"

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
do a search for " universal motorcycle can-opener baffles " they have been around since at least the 70's and they do work, shouldn't be more than around $10 each or so. when you see the pics, you'll know why they are called that.

Edit, longer is quieter and you can always cut them down if too quiet for you.

Reactions: "Captain D"

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
do a search for " universal motorcycle can-opener baffles " they have been around since at least the 70's and they do work, shouldn't be more than around $10 each or so. when you see the pics, you'll know why they are called that.

Edit, longer is quieter and you can always cut them down if too quiet for you.
Thanks I'll check it out.

·
Registered
19,144 Posts
Welcome to the "Madhouse" @b61953 ...
I see our Gurus are on this ;)
I am learning here as I didn`t know some of these "cures"...

Lets RIDE JAN 1,
Dennis
Merry Christmas Y`all

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The bike has what appears to be the street rod exhaust system. The outside diameter of the pipe is 2 and a half in. There appears to be about 6 in in front of the baffle. What size can baffle would I need and what would cut the sound down to a reasonable level. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
The short 4" ones quieted my Vulcan 800 pipes enough so I could live with them.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I just went to my local aftermarket motorcycle parts store, they had bin-boxes full of different sizes. Found two that were a good fit and bolted them in. may have to drill a small 1/4" hole for the retaining bolt or spot-weld them. Use a self-locking nut, but not the ones with nylon.

looked like these with the big end a good fit in the pipe:

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I also added a set of these to the inside of the Vance&Hines poor excuse of a baffle to make one bike tolerable, that one, the small end fit really snug inside the V&H "baffle". Just used a block of wood and a hammer and tapped them down into the front of the V&H baffle and re-installed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I also added a set of these to the inside of the Vance&Hines poor excuse of a baffle to make one bike tolerable, that one, the small end fit really snug inside the V&H "baffle". Just used a block of wood and a hammer and tapped them down into the front of the V&H baffle and re-installed.
Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just got a 2005 750 aero with cobra pipes they look really good on the bike but to loud for me. Is there anyway to silence them.some without getting an original exhaust system ?
Thanks for all the help. Took bike out yesterday for the first time since I got it. Once out on the road it sounded great. Cobra pipes weren't too loud at all. Sending original pipes back l had bought. Bike ran great 7500 miles on this 2005 and I loved it. Hadn't been on a bike for 20 years and l couldn't be happier. Mid life crisis for soon to be 69 year old granddad forfilled.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts