Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys and gals.. I picked up a 1985 Honda VT700 Shadow. I finally got it to run after replacing the coils. I'm currently looking for a left side cover for the bike. Color does not matter as I have to repaint the tank anyhow. I have owned several CB700SC Nighthawks over the years. Crashed the first one I had when a lady decided her station wagon was a great road block. She was going across the roadway to another parking lot to drop her daughter off. She pulled out then saw me and instead of punching it and getting out of the way she stopped dead. Me doing 55 or so mph thought she was going to keep going. I ended up hitting her right behind the rear tire and the Nighthawk and myself went for a flight. Shattered ankle bone but otherwise unscathed. That was the first and last bike I ever had registered. I have had the others as projects. Anyhow thanks for letting me join in the shadow site. Im looking for parts and probably will be looking for other information as I get this Shadow on the road. It sat outside since 2013. Which isn't a long time but some parts got toasted in the dormant state it was in. Both the clutch and brake masters will need to be replaced due to corrosion. Among other parts like turn signals and whatnot. Below is the bike was missing the keys I do have a title for it.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

· Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
2,095 Posts
Welcome ballisticpc .I also had a CB700SC , great bikes. Now have an '01 Spirit 750 and love this bike too.
Have fun with your restoration project.

· Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
20,082 Posts
VERY COOL bike.
A big problem with the 1983-84 is the 2 spark units on the rear fender.
But guys find a workaround.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was out messing with it tonight. I replaced the front brake master and the clutch master. Rebuilt the clutch slave. Seem to be having a stuck choke. It moves a little but Im not familiar with how the chokes work on these carbs. I guess I'll get a crash course on it... Saw a video on youtube but it wasn't super clear. The guy was removing the carbs and just uncrewed the nuts from the choke cables. If it wasn't idling a little high I wouldn't worry about it. Also when I removed the tank there are 2 hoses that go to a tank in the rear. What is that tank? I see there is a fuel sender there but Im not sure what that tank is for. Is there a fuel pump in there?

· Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
20,082 Posts
That is the reserve tank about 1/2 gallon of gas. The sender on top with 2 wires is a low fuel light.
A red light on the dash will light up if it is working.
The fuel pump is down below that after the shut-off valve and filter.

Reactions: squidchief

· Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
20,082 Posts
Yes that comes in handy when you want to sync your carbs or do other tuning with the tank out of the way.

· Registered
'83 VT750C; ‘21 SV650A
3,606 Posts
Chances are that sending unit no longer works. Check it out first, but there are threads here, and elsewhere on the Net, that outline how to replace the little thermistor that’s inside the sensor. A new sensor is around $100, IIRC. Though for Bobber projects, most just eliminate that tank altogether.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Chances are that sending unit no longer works. Check it out first, but there are threads here, and elsewhere on the Net, that outline how to replace the little thermistor that’s inside the sensor. A new sensor is around $100, IIRC. Though for Bobber projects, most just eliminate that tank altogether.
That would help with finding a place for the ignitors. I'm not dead set on the bobber deal but I am leaning that way.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Replaced the Clutch master, Front brake master, All 4 turn signals were broken, I replaced them all as well still need to figure out the wiring. I have the shop manual so that should steer me in the right direction. Someone butchered the rear harness at some point. Also replaced the ignition switch and fuel cap. I also cleaned up the clutch slave cylinder and inspected the O-ring looked to be in good shape. I now have front brakes as well as a clutch. Replaced the choke cable and one of the choke plungers was stuck and broke. I have a new one on the way so sometime next week It may be ready for a short test ride. Also need to douche the fuel system with vinegar or something that eats rust. Its not bad I have see way worse. Not sure if I can post video links here but I will try.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts