Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just aquired an 83 Shadow from my neighbours who were moving and had to get rid of it. So they offered to me for FREE. I gladly took it as I have been looking to get a bike again, this will be a bit of a change for me as my previous bikes have all been sport bikes (CBR F4I, CBR600RR). So I figured I would join this forum and hopefully get some tips to get this old beast back up and running again.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Well, you sure can't beat the price! How about some pictures?

Welcome to the forum; have fun, and ride safe.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
welcome

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
welcome and good luck hope you get it going again

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it seems that my first intro actually worked, my laptop crashed as I tried to post and and just posted another this morning and didnt realize this thread existed. So I will quote the new, more detailed intro below this.

Thanks to all who welcomed me!

Here is the new intro:

Hey all, I recently had an 1983 HondaShadow VT750C given to me by my neighbours when they moved. They were had to be out by the end of the day and didn't want to bring the bike so they asked if I wanted it, of course I did so now I have a new bike. This works out well as I have been getting the itch to ride again lately and had been kind of looking for a bike. The catch was the bike had no keys, her dad lost them.

The Shadow is going to be a bit of a change form me as up to this point (other than dirtbikes) I have only had sport bikes, all Hondas though (CBR F4i, CBR 600rr) so the Shadow will take a little getting used to once I get it on the road, but Im looking forward to it.

When I got the bike it was very dirty, the paint was covered in mildew as it had been sitting outside for close to a year. However a good washing and a bit of wax cleaned it up nicely. The bike has been painted with a nice yellow metallic paint, has some type of aftermarket pipes and it appears the seat has been redone as well. So I think that with a bit of work it could be a pretty nice bike.

After a basic clean up, charge battery, drain old fuel, change oil and coolant, I got some new keys made for the bike at the local locksmith (who was actually very reasonable). I also pulled the carbs off opened them up to clean them out, they really were very clean inside. I have been able to get the bike started a couple times, when it does run it runs pretty well, but is VERY hard to start. I will start a thread in techinical discussion about this in hopes someone can help me pinpoint the problem.

Here are a couple of pics of the bike for you:

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Car Fuel tank

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Car Fuel tank

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice looking bike, and the price was definitely right. Here's a bigger pic for all to see.
Thanks for the compliment on the bike, as you said I certainly can't beat it for the price. Got it running today, fuel pump relay is shot, bypassed that and battery is really weak so I jumped it off another battery and it started much easier, but still not great. So some tuning is going to be needed.

On the plus side the tranny seems to shift nicely thru the first 3 gears at least so thats a good and it drives nice and straight down the road.

What I do have a question about is engine noise, specifically valve noise, the top end on this bike seems quite noisey, at idle I can hear a click-clack type noise really loud. Is this a sign that the valves need adjustment?

·
Banned
3,795 Posts
I don't think your bike has hydraulic lifters so they may need adjusting. The first adjustment is often neglected by new owners. Have you changed the oil? Try full synthetic, it might help. Good luck.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The second thing (after draining old fuel) I did was to change the oil its brand new, I'm not sure its full synthetic but it might be semi synthetic. The bike has 40,000+ kms on it and I have no idea if/when they have ever been adjusted, so its quite possible they need adjustment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.