Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I am new to the forum, I just came across it while doing a search about my bike online. I am a member of several gun forums here in Indiana and have found them to be very useful and a good learning tool. I am 46 years old and live in Indianapolis Indiana, I ride a 2000 Honda VT1100C I bought it new in 2001 and now have 60K miles on it. My first bike was a 1978 Honda XR-75 I have ridden Honda s all my life. I am currently having some repair issues and hope this forum might be a good place to not only get advice but to share what I have learned over the years.. Chef

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Welcome

Hello all I am new to the forum, I just came across it while doing a search about my bike online. I am a member of several gun forums here in Indiana and have found them to be very useful and a good learning tool. I am 46 years old and live in Indianapolis Indiana, I ride a 2000 Honda VT1100C I bought it new in 2001 and now have 60K miles on it. My first bike was a 1978 Honda XR-75 I have ridden Honda s all my life. I am currently having some repair issues and hope this forum might be a good place to not only get advice but to share what I have learned over the years.. Chef
We have similar history. 1st bike was an SL-70 (Pre XR) next was a CB SS, Now I have an ACE 1100 1995

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate the warm welcome. My bike was not charging the battery, I replaced the battery, stator and rectifier so I figured my problems would be solved. NOT... Even with the new stator and rectifier its still not charging the system. It left me sitting yesterday with a dead battery. I charged the battery over night on a slow charge 12 V @ 2 amp. I took the battery down and had it load tested and it came back as a good battery. I tested the voltage across the battery with the bike off and got 12.6-12.9 volts then at idle it was the same but at 5000rpm it dropped to 12.2-12.5 V, so for some reason its still not charging I am not sure what to do next other than check the ground. Any advice would be appreciated..

·
Registered
257 Posts
Welcome BikerChef. I'm in SWVA and it sounds like we share two similar interests, guns and bikes. I had to laugh with your second message in this post as I am dealing with the exact same problem with my 1998 VT1100 Spirit. I actually gave up trying to find this problem myself and sent it to the shop. I'll let you know what they find. I didn't know what else to check either. This is a great forum with lots of great people.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
welcome

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Welcome. Shadows are great, reliable bikes. Did you check the connector for the 3 yellow wires? If you have not already soldered them, that might be your weak spot. These often break down over time, overheat and toast the connections.

Just out of curiosity, what other issues have you come across in your 60k miles? Just wondering what I might expect with mine if I get it that far.

Good luck!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I appreciate the warm welcome. My bike was not charging the battery, I replaced the battery, stator and rectifier so I figured my problems would be solved. NOT... Even with the new stator and rectifier its still not charging the system. It left me sitting yesterday with a dead battery. I charged the battery over night on a slow charge 12 V @ 2 amp. I took the battery down and had it load tested and it came back as a good battery. I tested the voltage across the battery with the bike off and got 12.6-12.9 volts then at idle it was the same but at 5000rpm it dropped to 12.2-12.5 V, so for some reason its still not charging I am not sure what to do next other than check the ground. Any advice would be appreciated..
I'd download the factory service manual (available here on the forum); use it to isolate the wiring of the charging circuit and do a point-to-point continuity test. I'm betting you've got a corroded contact in the system somewhere leaving the charging circuit open.

Either that or a wire that's shorting in the harness. I don't think there's anything going up to the headset on that specific model, so an 11 year old corroded contact is the likely suspect.

Takes all of about a half hour to do a point-to-point with a continuity tester and the wiring diagram.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To date I have replaced: Final drive gear and spider gear, clutch, rebuilt carbs had to replace slides, rebuilt front brake caliper, all this between 48 and 56000 miles. Last year I replaced the pipes with Road Blaster long shot double walled pipes and the front and back pegs with kuryakin Iso pegs. This year at 60K miles I replaced the battery 3rd one over the life of the bike. The stator and rectifier but as I said it still isn't charging. I have missed this whole summer of riding over this charging issue, its really starting to piss me off. The parts I used are from Ricks and they had oem connectors so there was no soldering necessary. I am going to check the main ground from my negative battery terminal as soon as i can get over to where the bike is. It left me sitting near my moms house so the bike is still over there. If that is not the problem its going to have to go in the shop. Once this is done i need paint and my rider seat recovered.

She has been a great bike and i have ridden the **** out of her for a long time. I have ridden her across country 6 or 7 times. I was having second thoughts about spending any more money on her because, well lets face it she is 11 years old and has 60K miles on her so she probably is not worth what the repairs will cost. But i also cant afford a new bike and I expect once I get this sorted out I should be able to get another few years out of her. Other than this charging issue she still runs like a champ.

There are pics of her in my album, but they are with the old pipes and pegs.

Welcome. Shadows are great, reliable bikes. Did you check the connector for the 3 yellow wires? If you have not already soldered them, that might be your weak spot. These often break down over time, overheat and toast the connections.

Just out of curiosity, what other issues have you come across in your 60k miles? Just wondering what I might expect with mine if I get it that far.

Good luck!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Welcome BikerChef. I'm in SWVA and it sounds like we share two similar interests, guns and bikes. I had to laugh with your second message in this post as I am dealing with the exact same problem with my 1998 VT1100 Spirit. I actually gave up trying to find this problem myself and sent it to the shop. I'll let you know what they find. I didn't know what else to check either. This is a great forum with lots of great people.
Let me know what the shop says, I have already replaced the entire charging system so it has to be a connection somewhere. From what I have read Shadows are notorious for burning up stators, I think mine has actually been going out for awhile, over the last couple years it has been intermittent. It sucks though that I have replaced it (and the old one was burnt to hell LOL.) and I am still not getting juice...

·
Registered
257 Posts
Nice looking bike. I also have lost most of the summer riding opportunities due to this little issue. We're approaching my favorite time of year to ride though, so I'm hoping to get this resolved. I will absolutely let you know what I find out. That's part of why I have enjoyed this forum. Good information and friendly people who are willing to share from their experiences.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello,

I used to live in Indy, still have a rental house there, but now I am about 15 miles west of Indy in Danville.

I am forming a new chapter of Cruiser Club, USA if you want to get together and share the road sometime.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.