Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the bike back from a local dealer. Had them check it all out mainly because I wanted someone that knows bikes to do it. New front brakes, the rear shock was not connected and major tune up. $650.00
OK the bike to me is worth it. But it still backfire when decelerating it doesn't sound or feel any different ( motor wise ) the rear is nice. The Gentleman, for a lack of better vocabulary advised me older bikes are just like that. It’s an 88 600 does anybody else's do this?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Sounds like you need to adjust the fuel/air mixture screws. You should b able to find plenty of info in the search part of this forum. Popping on deceleration is a popular topic.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got to talk to the mechanic today that worked on the bike. And he told me someone has drilled out the exahaust pipes to give more sound. The only thing they can do is rejet the carbs. But they did a good job with the drill and it will not hurt anything. Just leave it along the bike runs great.
Don't know. believe him or not?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would replace the exhaust and make sure to use new exhaust gaskets. If your exhaust has no baffles then you will have no backpressure. This will give you a backfiring or poping effect on decel and when going down hills with no throttle. You could re-jet the carbs but that still will not give you the backpressure you need. I would just spend the money on a new exhaust.

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
This may sound stupid, but what constitutes a backfire. Is it like the backfire in a car or are all of you talking about the POP, POP, POP you get when you decelerate or downshift ?

My bike when downshifting will pop and rumble but I never get a bang like a car that backfires.

Chris

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, it's a pop pop pop. To tell the truth I kind of like it. But I have had people tell me it is bad for the valves. And I have all of my spare penny's tied up in the bike. I don't what to take a lack of maintenance to it's demise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.