Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Didn't think I'd ever see one...a new 2004 VTX 1800. First thing that ran through my head was what would have to be done to make a 10 year old bike useable...doesn't matter if it had zero miles. The list is considerable. Anyway, thought I'd post it in case anyone is looking for a VTX on the East coast. Mods can move or delete this if it's in the wrong place or off topic. HONDA VTX 1800 MINT ONLY 20 MILES

"2004 HONDA VTX 1800c. Bike has only 20 miles. Yes, 20 miles!! Bike is MINT, No scratches, nicks or blemishes. It was bought for a project that never happened. Bike is 100% original and stock. The color is a limited edition candy metal flake orange with orange ghost flames! Really cool looking in sunlight! It has a clean and clear NJ title. Bike cost $13,000 plus tax, freight and prep. Asking $8000. Will trade for CASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Attachments

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Isn't a trade for cash just selling the bike? Even at $8000 it's overpriced for the bike. 20 or 20000 it's still used (lightly used)?

Dingo.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
A few years back they were selling brand new out of the box VTX1800's for $6800. The seller wants way too much.

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
A few years back they were selling brand new out of the box VTX1800's for $6800. The seller wants way too much.
+1^

$8000 is way too much based on what i've seen lately.

Remember that "Mint Condition 2002 VTX1800 with 16K on it, looked exactly like the VTX version of my bike. Red/Chrome/Shield/Sound Package.
Talk about a Bikes big brother...

HE wanted $5900, which was pretty high, KBB was at $3400 (without accessories).
I offered $3800 then $4,000 and it was declined.

It was probably worth around $4800.

Yes, a 2002 vs 2004 but still comparative.

High Retail? Only goes up..

·
Registered
190 Posts
+1^

$8000 is way too much based on what i've seen lately.

Remember that "Mint Condition 2002 VTX1800 with 16K on it, looked exactly like the VTX version of my bike. Red/Chrome/Shield/Sound Package.
Talk about a Bikes big brother...

HE wanted $5900, which was pretty high, KBB was at $3400 (without accessories).
I offered $3800 then $4,000 and it was declined.

It was probably worth around $4800.

Yes, a 2002 vs 2004 but still comparative.

High Retail? Only goes up..
I really like the looks of your 750 and I think I might downsize after next season, how much does something like that weigh.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Not sure on the shaft models but the 01-06 weigh about 430 wet.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

·
Registered
354 Posts
I payed $5000 for an 02 VTX1800 with 20K miles last summer. The fact that it's bone stock and has almost zero miles is worth something, but I guess it would be up to the buyer to decide if that's worth another $3k. If new as this one is and considering the original price I could see that bike going for that price. There's the add-ons which aren't there. The stock exhaust almost never stays on. Add $450. Old tires you may or may not be able to use. $350-400. $8000 is not an outrageous price if someone really wants it. It's a 750 lb bike. They ARE monsters and it might take a bit of a learning curve to get used to going from 400 lbs to nearly 800 lbs overnight. It did me.

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
I payed $5000 for an 02 VTX1800 with 20K miles last summer. The fact that it's bone stock and has almost zero miles is worth something, but I guess it would be up to the buyer to decide if that's worth another $3k. If new as this one is and considering the original price I could see that bike going for that price. There's the add-ons which aren't there. The stock exhaust almost never stays on. Add $450. Old tires you may or may not be able to use. $350-400. $8000 is not an outrageous price if someone really wants it. It's a 750 lb bike. They ARE monsters and it might take a bit of a learning curve to get used to going from 400 lbs to nearly 800 lbs overnight. It did me.
based on what you said i'm glad that guy didn't accept my low offer on the 1800
sounds like its a bit of a boat anchor.. I hear they can be not so much fun on tight twisty's either.

Just for the best because with my leg issues i should stick with a lighter more manageable weight.

People do swear by the VTX1800, I had one pulll up to me coming off the highway once and i had to really look at it to see it was a VTX1800 because the size of the bike was about the same size as my Aero. Weight diff is mostly the power plant, extra Disc up front etc i imagine.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,566 Posts
If you sport a 33" inseam and want a more roadable larger ride you might try a Valk @ $6k. A local HD dealer has a 00' F6 standard locally with shield and 23,0000 mi. for that price.

·
Registered
354 Posts
2003 HONDA VXT1800 - SHOW BIKE!! - $4200

Bolt on a couple thousand dollars worth of shiny metal from China and spend several house payments at the paint shop and it's a show bike.

I looked but I didn't see the mileage. If it's not too high that's a pretty fair price.
I had a fat girlfriend one time who had an old POS Harley and those words "Oh it's not a regular motorcycle. It's a show bike!" Still grate on my nerves.
Shows are really nice but I had a badly abused and ugly BSA Thunderbolt once I rode to a show. I put it in the show just as a joke mainly. It won first in it's class. I just laughed. Shows are fun but one shouldn't take them too seriously.

·
Registered
471 Posts
It's a very nice bike! But I agree with 8k being a bit high...I saw, recently, a 2014 Honda Interstate for sale at the dealer for 8k...granted it was a special going on (14k regular price) but, shows, with a little patience you can get an awesome deal.

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
based on what you said i'm glad that guy didn't accept my low offer on the 1800
sounds like its a bit of a boat anchor.. I hear they can be not so much fun on tight twisty's either.

Just for the best because with my leg issues i should stick with a lighter more manageable weight.

People do swear by the VTX1800, I had one pulll up to me coming off the highway once and i had to really look at it to see it was a VTX1800 because the size of the bike was about the same size as my Aero. Weight diff is mostly the power plant, extra Disc up front etc i imagine.
don't get me wrong, i would love to have a VTX 1800 along with having my bike.
When i say i am glad the deal did not go through was because i would have had to sell my bike to swing it. If that happened i have a feeling i would have regretted it.

Having both, well that's perfect.

·
Registered
471 Posts
^ Why would you want both??...
I get people have multiple bikes with different styles I.E. Cruiser + Chopper + Crotch rocket or whatever, but bot your bike and the 1800 are virtually the same except the obvious engine size.

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
^ Why would you want both??...
I get people have multiple bikes with different styles I.E. Cruiser + Chopper + Crotch rocket or whatever, but bot your bike and the 1800 are virtually the same except the obvious engine size.
I would need both to not regret not having a lighter bike. Use the 1800 for the highway and my 750 for everything else.

Thinking i wouldn't like the feeling of carrying a 250lb person with me wherever i go. Added weight. Plus all the Mods i would have to spend $$$ and effort.

My MAIN point is that i feel i would have regretted trading my Aero 750 for a VTX 1800.

Having both a VTX 1800 and a Aero 750 i could still win the "D*ck Swinging contests" on power while still having a all-around fun and enjoyable bike.

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Having both a VTX 1800 and a Aero 750 i could still win the "D*ck Swinging contests" on power while still having a all-around fun and enjoyable bike.
Not against this :p

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I really like the looks of your 750 and I think I might downsize after next season, how much does something like that weigh.

I have both, an Aero 750 and similar 1100C and I prefer the 1100 to ride, but the rake difference does make the 1100 feel a little more top heavy but for me that's a plus as its better on tight roads, turns in easier, you need to counter steer more on the Aero, the Aero with closer gear ratio's (and 5 of them), smaller engine and single carb seams smoother until you get to higher speeds when its gets to higher revs.

The 1100 give you the feeling you are in the bike... the 750 on it, Not sure quite how to explain it

If you want lighter the chain drive RS is a little lighter again

Honda Shadow RS

but not by that much..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts