Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope it is fine to post this in here as I am still so new to this site......Anyway, my brother took me out riding up to highway speeds of 65mph for the first time for me. He was on his harley, and me on my shadow ace. He is an experienced rider and riding behind him gave me so much more confidence for some reason. Anyhow, I rode with a dot half helmet and glasses. But once I got to about 55mph I noticed my glasses started jumping a lot around my eyes and my vision was "fluttered" if you will. So that made me think to get goggles asap. However I would prefer glasses. If I get proper or better quality glasses, will they resist the wind and not "jump" or "flutter my vision? Or are goggles the way to go?

p.s. I plan on getting a full face helmet as well but was curious for the days I wear my half helmet. Thanks

·
Registered
2005 Honda VTX 1300R
1,090 Posts
I bought a pair of these from a local Honda shop many many years ago and been wearing them ever since.
CURV Z Sunglass

I actually want to get another pair for riding at night.

·
Registered
358 Posts
For a little while I was wearing some $7 Z87 rated Safety sunglasses that I found at Lowes. I have a pair of lightly tinted slightly mirrored safety glasses in my tool bag for night driving. I wear those because I have a dark visor and have to have something to wear for night driving since I can't use the shield.

I used to work in the Optical industry. I've worked at Lenscrafters as the lead lab tech, and as a lab manager at an Eyewear Express. My old boss used to have his own little shop, and he had some Wiley-X glasses. Not that long ago I went pay him a visit to see if he still had some in stock. He gave me a few pairs to try out and ride with. I ended up going with the Airbornes.

They've got a foam padding around the eyes with vents to let air in so they don't fog. They're safety rated, the polycarbonate lenses are AWESOME. They're normally $144, but my old boss gave em to me for $20. LOL.
I'd still pay full price if needed another pair tho. When you work in the industry, to know what's the real deal and what's not worth it's weight in gold. These Wiley Xs are awesome. I wear em with a full face helmet.If you can get something with polarized lenses, I'd highly recommend it.
You don't have to go super high on price. **** I'd be fine with those cheap safetys I got at Lowes. But I've gone thru really nice pairs of sunglasses before, and I've made them for people. I know how dramatic the difference is between a quality lense and a cheap lense.

·
Registered
10,252 Posts
If they are not wrap around style glasses yes they will flutter. My rx glasses flutter, when wearing contacts, I wear wrap around type glasses, safety glasses are cheap and available in most colors of tints. Wife bought several pairs at local HD dealer for around $5 a pair maybe less. Wal mart sells some that cheap too I think. We dont wear expensive ones on the bikes cuz well, rocks and bugs:-(
Coop

·
Registered
758 Posts
I use a wrap-around style always, even under the FF helmet because then I can ride with the shield up and let air move. Ones marketed for other high speed outdoor spoorts (road biking, skiing) work well and with higher quality lenses

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys. It looks like I'm going to get some kind of wrap-around with a FF helmet. I appreciate the tips!

·
Registered
291 Posts
I currently have these.

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

They are "safety glasses" and sunglasses. I wear them everyday but they work great for riding. I figure even if the lenses are only even marginally shatter resistant that's enough. That way if i get hit by a rock or a big bug they aren't shattering. I've been buying combo sunglasses/safety glasses for years now and it's the way to go in my opinion. they are wrap around as well so the wind doesn't get them.

Now if i could find a pair that was polarized as well, i'd be happy.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
My glasses are all prescription. Day time, my sunglasses block enough wind and don't bounce. They are Kirkland brand (costco) "122 GUN". Nighttime if I a, not wearing a helmet, I have "overglasses" I bought on amazon. They are big and goofy looking, but they keep the wind out and fit over my regular glasses.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I just ordered some shatter proof wrap around combo glasses and a ff helmet with a dual visor. Now it's time for some qualify boots

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I usually wear contacts... and got a pair of riding glasses from my local dealer for $21. They have foam around the eye with inlets for air to prevent fog-up. Love them.. will be buying a pair with tint soon, mine are clear.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Fits Over Rx SunGlasses

These are good for now until I can afford the Willy X's or Oakley's prescription goggles. Haven't been able to find a local dealer to try-before-you-buy. None in stock to try or I have to order online.

Ordered these by MotoGroup
Amazon.com: Motorcycle Safety Sunglasses Fits Over Rx Glasses Smoke Meets ANSI Z87.1 Standards For Safety Glasses Has Soft Airy Foam Padding: Automotive

&

These from Bobster
Amazon.com: Bobster Condor Fitover Sunglasses,Black Frame/Smoked Lens,one size: Shoes

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
my brother got a pair of riding glasses with the foam and he got a black ring around his eyes on a hot day, looked pretty funny for a while.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts