Honda Shadow Forums banner

New Windshield

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  PainterD 
#1 ·
I bought my bike with a small windshield that was mounted with more permanent style mounts (not quick release). The windshield and the mounts are from National Cycle. I kind of wanted a newer/bigger one for a couple of reasons. 1 - the protective coating on my NC windshield was starting to look kinda like and orange peel, and 2 - I want more protection on the freeway. Some of our mountain passes can be drafty at 70mph.

I found a Memphis Fats windshield on our local Internet classifieds, KSL.com. Which is kind of like Craigs List, but totally local. Around here, people think of KSL first and CL second. Picked up a like-new 19" Fats for $80 with the windshield hardware and mounting panels, but no bike-side brackets.

I didn't really even know if it was even the model for my bike. It probably isn't, but I did not want to spend big $$ on the remainder of the mounting hardware, so I built brackets myself. I think they turned out nice and even though they are not "trigger lock" I can remove my windshield in about 2 minutes with an allen wrench.

I even took pics, so everyone would know that it really happened. I finished at dusk, so the pics are kinda dark (sorry).

I used the fork-tube clamps off the NC windshield (with modifications).

Then I maufactured my own bracket to go from the tube clamp to the windshield hardware.
From the front. . .

From the side

With the windshield off, the completed mounts look like this. . .

Windshield on. . .

Brackets from the side with windshield on. . .

Completed package (sorry, picture sucks but you get the idea) It would have been nice to follow the rake of the forks more, but the test drive was great so I am not too worried. Without relocating my lightbar or my speedometer, this was the only position I could choose.

See less See more
#4 ·
Ya, I figured a do-it-yourself job here would save me some serious $$. Took one afternoon to design and build the brackets. Not a bad payout for the time spent.

#7 ·
looks good.

#10 ·
I was pretty much in the same boat as you. My National Cycle windshield ended up full of spider web cracks around all the screws, so it needed to be replaced. I found a Memphis Shades at a good price, but no mounts with it. And after seeing what the mounts would cost me (more than I paid for the windshield) I decided to do the same as you did and make the National Cycle mounts work and it wasn't all that hard to do. A few holes drilled in the proper location and longer bolts to mate the new windshield to the old brackets and I was in business. "Necessity is the mother of invention" or so it goes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.