Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New user, new rider - and already a problem. I bought a used Honda Shadow 500 that is SO beautiful and in good shape - or so I thought. I have been having a problem with starting the bike after I've been riding (usually about an hour). I'll stop to get gas and it won't start again, or I'll stop to drop something off at work and it won't start again, or I'll stop to go into a store... you get the picture. I've had the bike about 4 weeks and I had gotten into a routine of letting it simmer down and figuring out that it will start after that... Except this past Saturday night. I filled the tank and it wouldn't start. I waited about 25 minutes and ended up parking it and gettin ga ride into work. 8 hours later, got dropped off to start the bike, still wouldn't go. My friend put about a 5 second charge on it and it roared to life. WTH? I've had no other indication that the battery or starter or alternator is going. Lights are strong and when it's started, rides like a dream. I'm trying to get an idea of what might be wrong before I drop alot of money on a bike that only cost $900 to begin with. Is there any chance I'm flooding it when I'm trying to start it? the plugs have been dry, but my husband is convinced that I'm the one causing this problem. Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Welcome to the forum and the world of Gremlins! My bike did that at first but it turned out to be flaky connections at the battery. I cleaned them and it seems I'm off to the races. I've really not ridden it very much at this point so it may be too soon to tell. I've heard some have had issues with the coil packs relating to hard starts when it's hot. My first guess would be make sure you're battery is good. If it is, maybe the charging circuit is to blame. Good luck. Mine worked flawlessly when I got it and the gremlins all struck at once. As far as flooding it goes, I don't know. Mine usually starts with out giving it any throttle and a short push on the button. Does it turn over the engine and not fire?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Welcome to another Maine rider. I just bought my '83 500 a few weeks ago, and have the exact same problem.

Mine has a brand new battery in it.

Mine had many other issues that could be causing the issue - old gas, original spark plugs, a shop cloth for an air filter, so it's hard to say exactly what the problem is, but someone on the tech page had some suggestions for me today - you'll see my post close to the top.

There are a bunch of .pdf manuals available for download for free on the discussion page.

What year is your bike?

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
First off laurac77, welcome aboard. What year bike do you have? My recommendation is to hurry up and get your 3rd post done so you can get that stupid requirement out of the way and then post your question again in the technical section. There's some pretty sharp folks over there that can walk you through about any problem. Hope to hear soon that your bike is up and running and your hubby is jealous of how well it's doing!

Again, Welcome.

·
Registered
5 Posts
laurac77, sounds familiar, bought my 83, rode it for a week and then it died on me on the way to work, i've been working on it trying to get it back on the road for 2 weeks now, and i have no clue what to do now

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.