Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks... New Rider here. Took me 53 yrs but I finally got around to it. Recently passed the MSF class and with the help of an experienced rider friend purchased a 1997 Honda Shadow ACE, 11k miles. A respected Honda dealer bike shop did an inspection for me, a little maintenance, and told me the bike was super clean (as well as my friend).

I don't understand why the bike will not start in 1st gear (like the MSF bike did when I stalled it out - it was a Honda). It says in the manual on p47 that the engine can be started in neutral or in gear with the clutch level pulled in.

I've had the bike out twice now (riding side road to big school parking lot close by my house where I took my MSF class) but this issue is freaking me out. When I practice working in the friction zone to get the feel of the clutch and stall it I have to come back to neutral every time to start the bike back up. As a result, my confidence to ride safely is getting shot.

I've always wanted to ride and was excited to get my license, bike and gear but now I'm not feeling good about riding like I did in the class.

Anyone have a thought about why the bike has to be in neutral only to start? I plan to call the Honda place on Tuesday to see what they say.

Appreciate your comments.

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Is the kickstand up? It could be the switch on the clutch lever, my Aero did it to come to find out it was the wire to the clutch switch had come un plugged. simply pushed it in and wala it worked. I may be off with suggestion, but it's worth a quik look.
Good luck!
Oh yes, welcome and POST A PIC!
Coop

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
There will be lots of little things to learn and deal with for a while. Try not to let them take away from the fun. It's all a part of becoming a biker.

And please be careful. Don't become overconfident. I believe most accidents occur to riders during the first 2 years of ownership/riding.

Many years ago, I dropped my first bike--a single-cylinder Yamaha--2 weeks after I bought it. Standing still on gravel.

Take care, and have fun. And quit worrying. :wink:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Welcome to the cult! My 84 is the same way. It will not start in 1st gear but on my 09 will as long as the kickstand is up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spoke to the service guy today and have a clutch safety switch coming at the end of the week. We'll see if that fixes it. Thanks everyone for your input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts