Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, wanted to introduce myself to the group. I'm taking the MSF BRC this weekend as a first step to get into riding. I rode mopeds fairly frequently around the neighborhoods many years ago when I was younger, that's the extent of my experience on motorized two wheel vehicles :)

I have been wanting to ride for a while, been going back and forth over it but the urge hasn't gone away. We've reached a point where I can go about it the right way by taking the course, getting a reliable used first bike, all the gear and ask enough questions and read up enough to not go out and do anything intentionally stupid. :D

I bought a 2003 Honda Shadow Deluxe ACE with 6K miles last weekend, only ride so far was out of the trailer I used to bring it home and into our garage. I may take it out onto the neighborhood road in front of our house today and do some low speed riding to get a little controls practice in before the BRC this weekend.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
welcome! good lookin' scoot!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. Took the bike out into the neighborhood for the first time this evening when there was no traffic. Wanted to get a little slow straight line practice in before the MSF class this weekend. I got a little brave and went around the block a few times making turns, lol. I learned that I really need some practice on slow sharp turns and turns from a stop. I also had to keep reminding myself to check my mirrors to make sure no one was behind me. No dropping the bike though and no stalls! I did open the throttle a little in 2nd gear and felt a little of the bike's acceleration power....probably not impressive to most of you but it made me grin. :-D

Hopefully I'll develop a little more skill this weekend on that. Somehow towards the end of my ride I managed to make a complete U turn on a dead end street without putting my foot down and well within the sides of the road, must have gotten possessed by something!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all, wanted to introduce myself to the group. I'm taking the MSF BRC this weekend as a first step to get into riding. I rode mopeds fairly frequently around the neighborhoods many years ago when I was younger, that's the extent of my experience on motorized two wheel vehicles :)

I have been wanting to ride for a while, been going back and forth over it but the urge hasn't gone away. We've reached a point where I can go about it the right way by taking the course, getting a reliable used first bike, all the gear and ask enough questions and read up enough to not go out and do anything intentionally stupid. :D

I bought a 2003 Honda Shadow Deluxe ACE with 6K miles last weekend, only ride so far was out of the trailer I used to bring it home and into our garage. I may take it out onto the neighborhood road in front of our house today and do some low speed riding to get a little controls practice in before the BRC this weekend.

Thanks all.
Thanks you for the post.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some here will advise practicing, take the BRC first. You have a great looking ride, keep it that way.
Thanks dude. I'm taking the BRC starting tonight. (I better pass that test) And won't be on the roads until I get plenty of parking lot time and maybe some more jaunts around the neighborhood.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Just my personal beliefs for new riders (meant to help): I think most accidents occur to new riders within the first 2 years of becoming licensed. You're doing everything right, and you have a beautiful bike. Just be careful while you learn, and it will take 2 solid years of riding before the "basics" become relatively automatic. Hope you have a blast, even tho you're a 'bama fan. ;-)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Woot! Just got home, passed the BRC this weekend. Aced the written and got docked 3 points on the riding test. That dang box got me, I had the left hand turn down easy, but coming around and doing the right turn around I went outside the line slightly. Oh well, yesterday I couldn't make the turns without putting a foot down, practicing counterbalancing definitely helped.

Now to keep practicing on my bike to get better! And I get to make myself street legal with my license. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.