Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
10,139 Posts
Did you give the battery a good charge @ 2 amp. rate before using it? Is it a wet cell or a AGM battery?

·
Registered
10,139 Posts
This is the description of the battery I bought.

Chrome Battery YTX9-BS Maintenance Free Replacement Battery For ATV, Motorcycle, and Scooter: 12 Volts, .9 Amps, 8Ah, Nut and Bolt (T3) Terminal
It said it came completely charged. I have a NOCO Charger and Maintainer that I put it on when I got it and it said it was at 100%. One of the things I'm noticing is that the tender will say the battery is at 100%, I will take it off and start the bike, let it idle for 5 minutes just in the garage and when I put it back on the tender it says the battery is already below 75%. My voltage meter says the alternator is in good condition.
The reason I asked the battery style is, a lot folk go to Walmart and buy a flooded cell battery which don't provide very good service/quality.

If you used the NOCO 1 amp. Genius, it's more a maintainer thus not a good 2 amp. charger. I used my .75 amp. Deltran maintainer as a charger on my new battery and got about one crank and the battery started slowing the starter. Applied the 2 amp. setting on my regular for 8 hrs. and never had an issue again.

·
Registered
10,139 Posts
Shaft driven vtwins need a little more winding out so to speak compared to belt/chain driven variants. They don't like to be lugged down on rpm. You just need to get some time riding and learn its nuances.

·
Registered
10,139 Posts
Sounds like everything is working properly except maybe let it run on choke a little longer like 2 mins. The lights are suppose to go out as there is a relay that does this to allow full battery to start it. As for low speed performance, I'd run a half of can of Berryman B12 to a near empty tank and fill with fresh gas and go riding @ lower rpm. and see if that improves your performance. Might take a couple tanks. Be patient as at least it runs.

·
Registered
10,139 Posts
It's unfortunate that you lost parts thus a new assembly is still available. This is the cheapest OEM site by $40 over Partzilla.

·
Registered
10,139 Posts
You can gap them @ .030 also. I 2nd. going to NGK Iridium especially on vtwin's.

·
Registered
10,139 Posts
I suggest getting a 14mm copper oil plug washer instead of using the factory aluminum variant as they don't fail from wear and being over torqued. Just love the carbs with Seafoam/Berryman B12 if its running well. If it's not broke, don't fix it. One thing you can/should do that's very important, revise the 3 yellow wire stator plug connection with good quality industrial butt splices and shrink wrap them. So many electrical issue's can happen at this plug connection failure.

·
Registered
10,139 Posts
Can you be more specific when you say "love the carbs?"

A 1/2 can is what I used when I had an issue and cured my situation within 2.5 mi. I use per instruction 2x thru 5,000 mi. season.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts