Honda Shadow Forums banner
101 - 104 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
10,139 Posts
Can you be more specific when you say "love the carbs?"

A 1/2 can is what I used when I had an issue and cured my situation within 2.5 mi. I use per instruction 2x thru 5,000 mi. season.

·
Banned
2019 Phantom VT750C2B [black/ shaft/ 5gear/ hard bags/ shield]
57 Posts
Hi friends,

First time posting to the forums. I was hopeful someone can share some insight or at least point me in the right direction.
I recently bought a 1995 Honda Shadow VLX VT600CD as my first motorcycle. She's in great condition and had a good chunk of work done prior to the purchase (the paperwork was provided). My concern is the battery, maybe? The bike is constantly hooked up to a tender and when checking the voltage prior to starting it reads around 13.9. However, once I just turn the ignition switch on, not even start it, it drops to around 10v. Sometimes it takes a couple of times to start it, and then once it starts the battery goes back up to 13.8. The voltage meter also says the alternator is in good condition.

The bike seems to struggle until I hit 20mph and then kicks in strong. Spark plugs maybe?

I have a feeling it's really not the battery, and maybe that's just a side effect of something else going on. I can provide any details needed to help diagnose what's going on.

I appreciate it in advance. Thank you.
"Your alternator [which it your onboard charger] seems to be working well. You may need to check the life percentage of your battery at a bike shop. Your starter, alternator, and battery seem okay. But, Check your oil and plugs, and have a mechanic check what you doubt if the latter doesn't resolve your problem."

"NOTE: If you trickle-charge your battery more than 12 hours you may be damaging your battery. You know that when you buy a battery off the shelf of a store it's guaranteed to work. That battery has been sitting on the shelf until you bought it. Only charge it for 12 hours when it is weak or new [even if you liquid load it yourself], if it is older than its limited use replace it [some batteries last longer than others] . -- By the way, I'm an apartment dweller, my bike as well as the cars in the parking-lot aren't attached to trickle-charge. I do have a blue tooth monitor attached to my motorcycle battery, which lets me know when to ride it or hook it to a battery charger, [ 'Only' ] when needed." -- JB

101 - 104 of 104 Posts