Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 54, and after a twenty year absents from riding, I'm back in the saddle. The wife let me start back since the kids are almost grown (13 & 18 year old girls, 20 year old boy). I've been a maintenance technician for the last 30 years, all around skills. Electrical/Electronics engineering bachelor, associates in mechanical engineering, but still more of a grease monkey. I’m as at home behind a lath/milling machine as I am programming robotic systems.

The 97 Spirit below had not been cranked in 4 years when I picked her up. This was dealership modified bike that’s first owner was a friend who bought it from Charlotte Honda (North Carolina) in 2002. It sat in the show room for five years, with no takers. My friend only put 2200 miles on it for the time he had it. I think he was a little scared of it :)

I started with cleaning the carburetors out first. While in there I noticed that the jets were not stock. Well let’s just see what she’ll do with these first. I set everything inside as described in my Clymer manual.

I pulled the plugs and put a small amount of Marvels Mystery oil in each cylinder and wiggled the bike around a little. I let that soak for an hour while I reinstalled the carbs. I dropped the bike in second with the plugs still out and pushed her through several revolutions.

All those years in the show room did not help the tank much. The bowls on the carburetors had plenty of fine rust particles in them, so I pulled the tank inner filter out, which was caved in from trying to suck rust gas though the fine screen. I rinsed the tank five times, that was lots of dirty gas used as weed killer. The in-line filter under the bike was full of red rust, replaced that.

Put her back together and installed a new battery and fired her up. Smoked like @&** till it burned out the Marvels, fowled the front plugs, to be excepted. Replaced the front plugs an fired her up again. Cleared out in just a little, so I took her up the road to warm her up.

I could tell right away the rear cylinder was working harder than the front. I had already made up the homemade manometer, so I synced her in. Took her back out on the road and tested again, perfect, well almost.

Seems the jet kits that are in the bike are set way to rich. I did not look at the needles to see if they had different settings yet. I put about 100 miles on her this week and she’s not getting but about 25 miles to the gallon. You would not believe the acceleration, above 4000 RPM the acceleration is exponential. Like being strapped to a rocket.

My brother in law has a V65 Magnum and he agreed it was mind boggling. I did not want a speed bike, I was trying to save on fuel. I ordered the original jets and needles and I’m going back in the carbs this week when it gets cold out side. May as well enjoy the warm spell;)

If the needles that are in there are adjustable, I will probably drop them down as deep as they will go. If not, the original stuffs going in.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Welcome i like that 1100

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tclemens,

Thanks, I saved a picture of your bike a couple days ago. I love the fairing. I am 6' 4" and going to make some extended forward control mounts, that fairing would help offset the control extention.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Do you have aftermarket pipes on the bike?
If you have stock pipes, I wouldn't go back to stock jetting - go with a dynojet kit and install according to their specs for stock exhaust - it will run much better.

However if you already have the adjustable needles. It would be good to go with the dynojets as they work really well together.

25mpg is pretty darn low - assuming you have no issues with the choke (enrichment valve) or air intake obstructions you are on the right track, check float adjustment too if you didn't do that when you had them out.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cbjr,

Thanks, I checked the float levels and adjusted in to 0.36 rise till it just touched the seat. New air filter. The choke level sure seems to work, but it could be like a refrigerator light, does it really turn off when the door's closed:) I know if I even move the choke a little, it will flood the front plugs.

The pipes are stock. I already have the stock needles, main jets and went ahead and bought idle jets also. I'll go into them this week and assess the current set up. I'm not apposed to doing this several times if need be.

I could see no markings on the current jets other than (.150) no trade mark stamp. I'll look at the dynojet kit in mind, if I don't get satisfaction from the next few attempts. I'm pretty patient when tinkering with shines:)

Do you think dropping the float seat height down to say 0.4 may make her leaner? I'll just make one tweak at a time, so I know what works best.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Cbjr,

Thanks, I checked the float levels and adjusted in to 0.36 rise till it just touched the seat. New air filter. The choke level sure seems to work, but it could be like a refrigerator light, does it really turn off when the door's closed:) I know if I even move the choke a little, it will flood the front plugs.

The pipes are stock. I already have the stock needles, main jets and went ahead and bought idle jets also. I'll go into them this week and assess the current set up. I'm not apposed to doing this several times if need be.

I could see no markings on the current jets other than (.150) no trade mark stamp. I'll look at the dynojet kit in mind, if I don't get satisfaction from the next few attempts. I'm pretty patient when tinkering with shines:)

Do you think dropping the float seat height down to say 0.4 may make her leaner? I'll just make one tweak at a time, so I know what works best.
I'd keep the float at factory specs., install the Dynajet kit for the mods. you do , or do not have, and you'll be good. I don't understand why it would be so rich, unless they had pipes,and a free flowing airbox, and then just took it all off and went stock, but left the richer jetting in there. I little thing to remember about these jetting numbers, is that Dynajet, and mfg. jet sizes don't flow the same. Like a 150 Dynajet won't render the same Fuel/air mixture as a Honda 150 jet would. Dynajet figures in there needle and attachment adapter on the emulsion tube also on some carbs.. Another thing, if you get your new factory jets, and they don't thread on,our bike already has a Dynajet adapter on the carb..,that has to be taken off. Good Luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts