Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. My name is Jaymie and I am obviously new.
I am looking to purchase my first bike and doing all the learning I can.
I was sold on a 650 V-star until yesterday. Long story short, I went into the local Harley/Honda dealer, and I was just looking...not even planning on talking to anyone, just to see what used stuff was out there.

I ended up talking to a salesman for about 30 minutes, and he showed me the new 07 750's, and they are shaft drives now. They were a little less than the 650 V-star, and damn if I didn't like that blue. So I now have to talk to my wife and see if it is feasible. They $$$ is there, she is just concerned about the payments and insurance is all.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Jamal said:
Hello. My name is Jaymie and I am obviously new.
I am looking to purchase my first bike and doing all the learning I can.
I was sold on a 650 V-star until yesterday. Long story short, I went into the local Harley/Honda dealer, and I was just looking...not even planning on talking to anyone, just to see what used stuff was out there.

I ended up talking to a salesman for about 30 minutes, and he showed me the new 07 750's, and they are shaft drives now. They were a little less than the 650 V-star, and damn if I didn't like that blue. So I now have to talk to my wife and see if it is feasible. They $$$ is there, she is just concerned about the payments and insurance is all.
Jaymie,

Good luck. I also looked a V-star before purchasing my Aero. I'm very happy with my choice. I read a review somewhere and the V-star and Aero were both included. I'll see if I can find it and post a link for you.

Steve

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks!!!
that areo looks real close the the vstar classic...

I pretty much fell in love with that 07 750 yesterday...

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hi Jaymie and welcome! You will get a million opinions all the way from "Honda only-- they're bulletproof" to "Honda is fine but old technology get something... anything..else". I found this forum because I bought a Honda 600.. and now I can't decide which I like more, the bike or the people here. Even if you don't go with a Honda you'll be welcome here.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Welcome,

I too had once considered the V-Star 650. It was between that and the 750 ACE. For styling and overall comfort, i went with the ACE. Can't go wrong with a Honda :wink:

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
If it was me - and I was concerned about cost and it was my first bike, I would pick up a nicely used VLX-600 for about 1/3 the price - get all the "learning, and dropping, and maybe deciding that motorcycling just isn't for you and/or your wife" out of the way without going into debt on a brand new (I will depreciate 1000 bucks rolling off the showroom floor) bike to figure it out.

Then in a year or so if you and the Mrs find that riding is good and like the biking thing, and think it is something you will continue enjoying, go buy a real bike like the new VTX 1300 or a real good used VT-1100.

But that is what I would do.......it may not be what everyone would do.

·
Registered
460 Posts
welcome to the forum. my $.02 is to go used. i just got my first bike in nov 06 and was able to find an ss750 for about 3k less than new with 1200 miles on it. newbe to newbe, get the nerves squared first.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have been looking for used, but everything I am finding is only like $2000 less than new. If I figure that it depreciates at $1000 right off, my difference is only $1000. Is the value of a warranty worth that? If I were to buy a car, I would say yes, but I don't know about a bike...

suggestions...

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Jamal--- I bought a brand new Honda 750 the day after I completed the MSF course. (last October) There are two camps-- those who think you should buy used in case you tear it up during the learning curve and those who think if you have, and can buy brand new, then you'll take better care and try harder. Figure out which you are....

I have NEVER regretted buying new, even though I dropped it a couple times that first week of practicing. Every small scratch, I put on there and I am proud of every one. Of course, the 750 is the perfect size for me, no matter how good I get at riding-- I may never move up to a bigger bike.

I paid about $6200-- financing all over 5 years-- payments are $149/month and I paid $150 for 1 year of full coverage insurance with Progressive. My car has been paid off for years so I think a $150 vehicle payment each month is not a bad deal. I ride that bike almost every single day and my husband agrees that it's worth every dime I'm paying for it.

The only thing I'll say is, if you're buying new-- sit on EVERYTHING-- make sure you are buying the best bike for you. If you buy a $6000 bike, finance it, but can't afford the $2K of upgrades you'll need to be happy with it (new foot positioning/saddlebags, new seat, engine guards, windshield), then you're screwed. You might be better off to go with a "Silverado" type package or one that the dealer has that's already "tricked" out.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
denisep said:
Jamal--- I bought a brand new Honda 750 the day after I completed the MSF course. (last October) There are two camps-- those who think you should buy used in case you tear it up during the learning curve and those who think if you have, and can buy brand new, then you'll take better care and try harder. Figure out which you are....
Absolutely a true statement - and the ones that tear up a new bike or find they have no time to ride, or decide it is too dangerous in the first year.....are no longer posting on this or any other motorcycle forum. You won't hear how they wasted $3-6k they didn't have, on a brand new toy they didn't like.

Hence you will only hear success stories here......common sense should dictate all of your motorcycle decisisons, if you let emotions dictate your motorcycling decisions (from purchasing to riding) it's generally not a good thing.

Denise is the exception....or should I say exceptional, either way....she hits it right with the statement "Figure out which you are".

Perhaps taking the MSF course first would be helpful - you may not like it at all, or decide your not well suited to riding (eye, hand, balance coordination), or you might fail it.....but you would only be out a couple hundred bucks - worst case.

Chuck

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
took the class last year, plan on taking it each year. I borrowed a friends 650 Virago for about 2 weeks and I enjoyed the hell out of it. It just felt like it had enough for me, just a little top heavy and not the look I like.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Jamal-- my husband is 6 foot tall-- was 277 at X-mas, now down to 234 :) ..

but, he will tell you that my 750 is a "fun ride" and it surprises him everytime he gets the opportunity to hop on it. We rode home from dropping off his v-star 1100 last week -- 2 up on my 750 and he said it rides just as good with two of us on it as it does with just 1. Plenty of power! It also drives great on the highway, plenty of power for going as fast as you want to. Not to mention, he is having to get his bike rejetted, new pipes, etc just so it will perform like mine does in stock mode. :wink:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
denisep said:
Jamal-- my husband is 6 foot tall-- was 277 at X-mas, now down to 234 :) ..
congratule him on the loss...
I was 330 in May of 05, now I am 190 ish...(gastric bypass).
I had always wanted to ride, but I dispised the thought of being "fat guy" on a bike..

1 - 20 of 39 Posts