Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just following orders from the big giant head. Told me i had to post an introduction b4 anything else.

So, Here goes.

The names Hurg (alias) happened to come across an 85 shadow 500 at the beginning of the summer. It was in non working condition. got it cheap.
Ive never worked on any sort of vehicle before.

Before i even took a decent picture of the beast, i had this urge to make it work, and got out my socket/wrench/screwdrivers.

(im now skipping typing 5 paragraphs)
Carbs are clean, gas tank de-rusted ckoke unstuck, Front breaks taken apart/cleaned put together again.

Bike starts like a champ. Great..... or not...
Ok, so i let it sit for a little bit, and go to start it again. Nothin, not even a crank.

Turns out. the petcock was letting fuel into the carbs while the bike was off. The float needle seats still had some gunk i missed when cleaning the carbs, so they overflowed into the crankcase.... lucky me.

ok, one more carb cleaning later and an oil change(as well as taking apart the petcock again) it seems to be running fine. rode around the house 4 times, no issues so far.

So, Heres to hoping i got my fuel issues resolved. Now to find the fuse for the signal lights, they are a bit wonky. After that, moving onto the non working rad.

and sorry for the super long beginners post. Just figured an introduction should show my fellow members where im at with my shadow =P

·
Registered
748 Posts
Sounds like you're on the right track. Keep plugin' away, get or download a manual (check stickies in general disc. section).
Welcome!

·
Registered
10,252 Posts
WElcome, now it's runnin, Take and post a pic!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yepperz. Got a few pics. Be posting soon as I can. Wonder if I can do it from my phone.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Heres some pics of the bike, Seats a mess, and not bolted on in the last picture, In the first 2 the sideplate isnt on.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
they arent, one of his eyes is blue, the other is blue on the bottom and brown on the top, at a distance, it can look like he's cross-eyed. Thought i uploaded the pics big, but as a new member, i had to wait a day to see/review/edit to find out.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
welcome bud.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine is running. But has issues. Petcock is letting gas thru even when engine is off. And the carbs are filling and I'm ending up with fuel in my oil. Thought I had that part fixed but I guess not. Think I'm just going to add a brass ball valve that I can close when not running. But that leaves me wondering if my carbs will still get flooded while riding.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts