Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another question that's probably been asked a million times...

I lube my chain about once every two weeks or every 500 miles-- I use the can that the dealer said was the best (blah blah blah) and they showed me how to do it. My question is:

After I roll it all the way up the driveway, lubing each section of the chain, do I need to let it sit for a while or should I drive it for a few minutes? What's the protocol for making sure it's on there good. I don't want to sit it back in the garage and have it "leak" stuff. (you guys can laugh all you want at the dumb question-- just make sure somebody answers me!)

Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I have a shaft drive now so haven't lubed a chain in awhile, (cept the mt. bike, but use oil for that).

But back in my dirt bike days, I'd use a spray can of white lithuim grease and coat everthing liberly, roll it back and forth a few sprocket rotations, then wipe off any excess.

The wipeing got rid of the excess and helped rub it in the chain as well as kept it from slinging off all over the place.

Not sure of the stuff your using or how liquid it is, the stuff I used went on liquid then got real thick and tacky after a min or 2, no drips.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi there,

this is a copy and paste, and it probably hits most of the points so I'll

Your chain doesn't need much cleaning if you just ride on normal streets. WD-40 and a rag is about all you need and even then not very often.

If you use gear oil, oil the warm chain after your last ride of the day using a brush (not an oil can). Put something under the chain to catch the drips and wipe off excess with a rag. Let sit overnight.

If you use WD-40, spray on warm chain any time. Give it a couple of minutes to drip off or wipe off excess with rag. Ride anytime. Fly-off is moderate.

If you use spray-on lubes, be sure to spray onto a warm chain. Do not over saturate. Spray it on the inside of the chain. That way on your next ride it will be slung outwards, through the chain.

For O-ring chains, lube the chain hot. Spray PJ1 Blue Label chain lube directly at the center of the rollers at the rear of the rear sprocket. Move the rear wheel slowly and continue to apply. Let it dry.

Clean-up: Oil and WD-40 are the easiest to clean up but also can create the biggest fly-off mess. PJ lubes or Chain Wax leaves the least amount of fly-off, but can build up on the chain itself.

Chain lubing is another of many reasons why you shouldn't buy a bike without a centerstand.

Quick Tip: Warm the chain, lube every 500 miles, don't get any on the tires, ride bike right after to work it in, and remove excess after your first ride.

Somehow I always manage to get the job of oiling the chain on my wife's 750 Spirit. One of the reasons I bought the 1100 was so I didn't have to do chain maintenance! It seems to me that there's something wrong with this picture, but,...I just can't spot it right off. Oh well......

What I usually wind up doing is going to the NAPA store and getting a can of chain lube, while trying to get only the chain, spray it all over half the bike, let her ride it around, get out my WD-40 and a rag, then clean the darn stuff the rest of the rest of the bike, avoiding the chain.

It never hurts to put a newspaper under the chain if you just lubed it. It's easier to just pick up the paper than to clean the floor. (I hate cleaning oil up, it's my major gripe around my shop)

John

PS. I always used to think that I was smarter than my wife, but now after reading my own post, I think she was just manipulating me like a puppet!!

·
Super Moderator
6,504 Posts
denisep said:
Another question that's probably been asked a million times...
I lube my chain about once every two weeks or every 500 miles-- I use the can that the dealer said was the best (blah blah blah) and they showed me how to do it. My question is:
After I roll it all the way up the driveway, lubing each section of the chain, do I need to let it sit for a while or should I drive it for a few minutes? What's the protocol for making sure it's on there good. I don't want to sit it back in the garage and have it "leak" stuff. (you guys can laugh all you want at the dumb question-- just make sure somebody answers me!)
Thanks!!
denisep,
Whatever the dealer told you to use......If it's not "BelRay-SuperClean" throw it in the trash and go to the nearest motorcycle shop and buy a can of BelRay today!

With the BelRay chain lube, the best time to spray it on is after you're done riding for the day and then let it sit overnight. You don't have to do it that way, it's just a suggestion. BelRay does not fling even if you don’t let it set-up.

What I do is wipe the chain with an oily rag to clean it, and then spray a very light coat of BelRay on it. In this case, "Less" is better!

Also, unless you ride in the rain, the BelRay lube doesn't have to be applied every 500 miles. The 500 mile interval is for gear oil; the BelRay lube can be applied about every 1200 to 1500 miles instead of 500 miles. If you get caught in a rain, when you're done riding, wipe down the chain with your oily rag and spray a light coat of BelRay on it.
(rembember I said a light coat)

Keep your chain adjusted to the loose end of the specs....Do that and use BelRay and your chain will last a long time. Don’t make a big deal out of chain maintenance! There's really no need.
Phil

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys-- that helps alot.... :)

Now I just need to figure out how to talk MY husband into doing my maintenance!! Hmmmmm.....

·
Registered
249 Posts
I like the belray as well. A little trick a mechanic at the dealer told me. Put a jack underneath the back of the frame where about where the swingarm is connected. jack it up just a hair, so the weight of the bike is on the jack, the sidestand, and the front wheel. this brings the back wheel off the ground. Only bring it up to the point when you can turn the back wheel freely. this way you can lube the chain without rolling the bike all the way up the driveway. don't forget to put a rag, or a block of wood between the jack and the bike so you don't scratch anything.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Denise,

I use the Maxima Chain Wax & Lube and the process is to ride about 5 miles to get the chain warm. Spray on the lube and then let it setup for 10 - 15 minutes. I have been real happy with it and it holds to the chain real well.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Here is another. This is cheap and good but not easy. It is for your chain but do it not in riding season.
Remove chain from bike
Clean well with brake fluid
Soak it 3 days in ATF
Let it drip for a couple of hours
Heat paraffin in a double boiler until liquid
Put chain in it for 30 minutes
Take it out and hang it
Reinstall chain

It is the same amount of mess weather you do 1 chain or 5. It works well. But dont forget to relube the conventional way after about 1000 miles.

A very good chain lube that doesnt cost much and makes no mess is Teflon based rust penetrant. It last a long time and needs very little clean up.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just looked.. I have the HP Chain Lube with White Graphite -- I believe it's some Honda brand of lube.

I"m definitely gonna track to jack up the back next time-- probably with some help. Thanks for all the suggestions---

·
Registered
63 Posts
denisep... I also use the Maxima chain wax... it lasts a long time and doesn't fling.

·
Registered
423 Posts
1DarkSpirit said:
denisep... I also use the Maxima chain wax... it lasts a long time and doesn't fling.
Nor does it turn the chain WHITE! White is an ugly color for a chain! These are the reasons I also use the Maxima.

Brian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts