Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(Hi) Newbie questions

Hi everyone, I'm Michael, 32, and live in Tuscaloosa, AL. (6'2" and 210lbs)

I have wanted to buy a motorcycle for a long time, and recently a friend offered to sell me his 1996 VT600 for $500. It's not in the greatest cosmetic condition, but it seems to run okay. It's got 17K miles on it and needs a new seat, and some 'servicing.'

Not knowing much about this sort of thing, I was hoping for some input for a brand new rider as to if this is a good idea.

The friend live sin south GA and I would have to trailer it up to Tuscaloosa before I could get someone to look at it.

Good first cycle? Easy to fix up?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Don't know how easy to fix but it sounds like a heck of a good deal at $500. Worth looking into. Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's going to take a TON of chrome polishing. Plus I am going to have to strip and repaint the tank and fenders. But I figure if I can put $500-$1000 into it over a year-and-a-half, I might have a sweet ride.

Only live 2 miles from work, hoping it will pay for itself eventually.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's going to take a TON of chrome polishing. Plus I am going to have to strip and repaint the tank and fenders. But I figure if I can put $500-$1000 into it over a year-and-a-half, I might have a sweet ride.

Only live 2 miles from work, hoping it will pay for itself eventually.

·
Registered
480 Posts
If the mechanics are solid it would most likely make a great 1st bike. Decent price, you won't cry too bad if you drop it (wonder how I know about that). You should get some good feed-back here on this forum, it's a good place. Welcome and best of luck.

·
Registered
94 Posts
whhhhhaaaat?!?!?! 500?
at that price it should be in ur garage already!
haha if not i'll take it!
no but seriously its a great deal.
if i picked up a bike like that i would go with elfnyc's suggestion. do the body work yourself, you'll have fun, and learn some stuff... a couple cans of krylon and some sandpaper and your set.
me personally i would tune it up, flat black rattle can, and call it a day.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I agree with ^^^

flat black, ride it and enjoy it first, then decide if you want it pretty

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.