Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I have some serious newbie questions. The first is regarding comfort on a 2004 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100, everything stock. I am 6'3" and getting close to 3 bucks (I know I'm working at moving farther from it not closer) Anyhow I am looking into purchasing my first bike the above mentioned. I have thrown my leg over the bike but the seller is a nervous and hesistant on test rides (last year a young man was killed test riding one of his bikes, so he is really gun shy about them)Everything feels comfortable but am I fooling myself and overlooking a size issue?

The second question is on the price. The bike is a 2004 with a salvaged title. It was laid down with cosmetic damage only. He replaced the scratched, scuffed, and missing parts. The original ghost flame paint job is gone (as he did not want to pay the extra to have it done) but the bike does look clean. Rubber is good. Like I said everything is stock. The mileage is just below 7500. He is asking $5295, it sounds like a reasonable price but the salvage thing jumps out. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
i wouldnt

its hard to imagine that a bike of ours would be totaled for cosmetics(there arent that many cosmetic parts)

esp for that price

maybe for less that half that.

also does your state allow for salvaged vehicles to be titled again for highway use? what about insuring it?

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I am with Brice on this one too, stay away from a salvaged bike that is priced too high and you cannot ride......that is three strikes against it by anyones count. Check out the forsale section of this forum, I know of two or three really good deals over there right now. A spirit and a sabre.

Also Brice and and I are into the 6'6"+ size and on the heavy side, ok Brice has lost a ton of weight since his sig-pic so he was riding in the big-boys club a couple years ago. No problem. Lots of extra parts for the Shadow/Sabre line to make them fit even better, but the bikes have big ****pit area compared to other bikes of the same style/size.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a side question for the big boys club. I have been told both ways on engine size. I am looking for a starter bike to get nice and comfortable riding with. I figured that anything smaller than 1100 would be a dog, did either of you start out on a 750? Have I bought into a misconception or is there merit to the bigger boy bigger bike mentality? I am not looking to go cross country, just some commuting and pleasure riding at this point. Thanks for the info on the other issue. The bike is good to go license wise. In Iowa if the bike sustain damage over 50% o f the resale value it is considered salvage. The bike has been cleared for registration. The seller is adamant that there is no frame or fork damage.

·
Registered
540 Posts
im 64 265 lbs, I have both a 750 spirit and a 1300vtx the 750 is still a blast to ride. but the "topend" for me isnt there. for long halls on a hyway.
I road my 750 to work to day and had a blast.

I would also stay away from a salvaged bike with that $$$$$$

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would go with the consensus here and stay away from a salvage especially for a first bike unless you want to get a certified tech look it over? As for size I guess I qualify for the husky group 6'1 270. My 1100 is my first bike, and I took the time to get to know it, and it's ways. I have been in city, hwy, and back roads with it with no issue. On the highway I have been up in the 90mph range, and I know the bike still had so more go, but the wind was just too much at the time. Practice and be safe! The Sabre will keep up with the bigger boys (1300's 1500's, 1600's) with no problem.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Good advice from everyone. It doesn't take much to tweak the forks or even start some stress cracks in frame welds. You could wind up with a bike that doesn't track or corner well and might just be structurally unsound. I'd steer clear of it.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Ditto: You can buy low mileage "04's" in the $6k range all day long and some higher mileage bikes under what this guy is wanting. Not a good deal and resale value is zip.

·
Registered
188 Posts
yeah, that price seems high without a salvage title. With the salvage title he needs to bring price down.

Regardless, I would follow advice of others and look for another bike.

My first was a 750, but I'm only 5'6" and the bike did great for 55K. Wish I had never sold it now. But if you intend to do long hauls the bigger bike is of course better.

In my opinion their isn't much handling difference between a 750 and an 1100.

--BB

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'D back away from salvage unless a dealer checks it out and the price is reduced. You even have to be very carefull with a reduced price. I bought a Honda Cm400 c that a guy had.He had it for 10 years in a barn ,bought it in a police auction with 300 miles on it . This looked real good for sitting all that time.Got it running, fixed a few wiring shorts to the lights and thought I was done. I would ride for 3 -5 miles and then the front brake would seize on me. Dumped me 3 times at slow speeds, twice on gravel as I was pulling off the road.Long story ,short. Ended up replacing every part I could in the front end until the forks were all that was left.That was it. They looked good to every one who worked on the bike ,even the dealership. Ended up spending almost 3 times what a running bike would of cost me. Still don't think you should take a bike for a ride that you want to buy. For me never again

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I decided to stay away from the salvaged bike and actually purchased a bike listed for sale on this site instead. Thanks to the site creators and all who contribute. I am looking forward to participating in this forum.

·
Registered
305 Posts
cycletrader.com is a decent site to find a mirad of diferent bikes forsale... i have noticed that For sale by owners are normally nicer bikes in the end... but its a good resorce for how much to pay and such...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Just my opinion here...
Avoid vehicles with salvage titles.
After a long absence of owning a motorcycle, I picked up a 250 Rebel used. Took the written permit test, then the physical driving test a couple months later after going up to DMV and practicing. 3,000 miles later I new what size bike to fit my needs. Sold the Rebel for $200.00 less than I paid for it.
I have heard nothing but good things about the MSF course. Even tho I didn't take it, it is highly recommended.
Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.