Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 92 VT1100--I didn't get an owners manual with it---So will have to pester you guys with some simple questions---The owner said the front needs to be replaced and the rear is 1000 miles but is 10 years old, (been inside stored)-------Are these the correct tires for this machine---Front says Metzler ME Laser 110/90-V19----Rear says Dunlop K555 170/80-15m/c-77H---The rear doesn't look whether checked at all, so will try it for a little while and watch it closely-----What should I replace the front with---Thanks

Kenny

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
If those tires are on your bike, then they are most likely the correct ones. Metzler tires are high end tires. Very popular ones around here are the ME880 Marathons.
I would change both at the same time as I am not a risk taker at 80 mph.

·
Banned
3,795 Posts
I just got a 92 VT1100--I didn't get an owners manual with it---So will have to pester you guys with some simple questions---The owner said the front needs to be replaced and the rear is 1000 miles but is 10 years old, (been inside stored)-------Are these the correct tires for this machine---Front says Metzler ME Laser 110/90-V19----Rear says Dunlop K555 170/80-15m/c-77H---The rear doesn't look whether checked at all, so will try it for a little while and watch it closely-----What should I replace the front with---Thanks

Kenny
The rear tire is the OEM for a lot of Hondas, the front is not but I'm unsure of the original size front for your bike. There are members here with the same bike so I'm sure help will be on the way.

Why not post some pics of your bike while waiting? It's kind of customary to do so before advice is requested.

·
Registered
301 Posts
There might be a label somewhere on the bike indicating tire size and pressure, look on the frame or below the seat.

As for a 10 year old tire, it may still be serviceable? Was it stored in direct sunlight for 10 years? Was there weight on the tires causing a flat spot? If not, if they hold their pressure and they feel well balanced when riding then by all means go for it, just check for wear as dry rubber will wear out faster.

There should be tread wear indicators on the front tire, or use a tread depth gauge. 1mm is usually the minimum for the front.

As for the owner's manual, it's a worthwhile investment, usually about $25 at the dealer.

http://www.helminc.com/helm/product...rom=result&Style=helm&Sku=31MM8700&itemtype=N

·
Registered
57 Posts
Last fall I bought an old Shadow. The front rubber looked almost new as it was stored inside. Rear tire had maybe 40% left, and looked (and felt) very good.

But when I pulled the wheels and looked at the date codes stamped on the sidewalls, I found both tires were made in 2001.

Sorry, but I'm not gonna' trust my a$$ to 10 year old tires at 80 MPH on the freeway.

New Dumbflop 404's ran me $260 mounted and ballanced at my local indy shop.

Maybe I paid more than I shouda', but now I feel a whole lot better going out on the interstate.

Cheers,
Gene

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There might be a label somewhere on the bike indicating tire size and pressure, look on the frame or below the seat.

As for a 10 year old tire, it may still be serviceable? Was it stored in direct sunlight for 10 years? Was there weight on the tires causing a flat spot? If not, if they hold their pressure and they feel well balanced when riding then by all means go for it, just check for wear as dry rubber will wear out faster.

There should be tread wear indicators on the front tire, or use a tread depth gauge. 1mm is usually the minimum for the front.

As for the owner's manual, it's a worthwhile investment, usually about $25 at the dealer.

1992 VT1100C Owner Manual - Helm Incorporated

The guy I got it from says he has it but is having a hard time finding it---If he can't then I'll take your advice and buy one---Thank you for the link.

Kenny

·
Registered
586 Posts
I had some 8 year old tires on my son's car when we bought it last fall they looked good but one of them let go last month and just fell apart at highway speed. on a car it was just annoying and a mess to change. on a bike you would be down if it did the same thing. just my personal xperience and opinion.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well, just doing some quick research here, the tire sizes on your bike are: (and don't quote me as the gospel truth on this, I got it off the interwebs) :D

Front tire: 110 / 90 R19
Rear Tire: 170 / 80 R15

Now, tire size is an important factor, but you now need to decide what quality of tire you want to put on. IMHO Metzelers are excellent tires, but I am currently running Dunlops (D404's) on my ride and they seem to work fine. Depends on what you want to spend, and what kind of compound you're looking for in a tire. (Touring long life, performance, etc)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Also, don't forget to replace all the rubber hoses .... after almost 20 years, if they aren't cracked, they will be very soon! It might be worthwhile to change the rubber parts in the carbs as well.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Kenny, first off, welcome aboard. With that said, your best bet for technical advice... or mechanical questions that you want answered with fact vice ancedotal opinions, I'd ask them them over in the technical forum.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
The rear tire is the OEM for a lot of Hondas, the front is not but I'm unsure of the original size front for your bike. There are members here with the same bike so I'm sure help will be on the way.

Why not post some pics of your bike while waiting? It's kind of customary to do so before advice is requested.
Pic in sig now---Also I found the tire info sticker on the swinger as one of you suggested---Thanks

Kenny

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wow killer paint job....As far as the tires...If you have any doubt about em change em out...A fresh set of tires will give you peace of mind...Just remember that when you change your tires give them some time to wear off the mold release that is on the tires...Watch your turns and stops...Just my 2 cents there...

·
Registered
368 Posts
A couple of thoughts:

1. You should view your motorcycle tires as pieces of safety equipment. You only have two and their contact patch with the road is not that big. The condition of your tires are a major factor in your staying up and safe. You want to enjoy every ride and you can't enjoy riding constantly worrying about a tire failure.

2. When you signed on to be a motorcyclist you knew, or soon found out, that motorcycles use up tires quicker than cars and that the more you ride the more tires you'll be buying. You've got a new set of tires in your riding future whether you get them now or get them later. I like the feeling of new tires on the road. I also like to say, "Wow! I got pretty good mileage out of this set, but it's time to get new ones. I must be riding a lot!"

I vote for you getting those new tires. This way you can worry about the drunks, texters, and idiots out there and not if you'll have a tire failure in the middle of nowhere.

·
Banned
3,795 Posts

Kenny
For some peace of mind, I purchased my bike when it was 9 years old. The original tires were still on with 3700 miles on the clock. Four days later I left S.Florida and rode to N.California and back, 7,600 miles and never had a problem. Replaced the tires with 13,000 on the odometer. If your tires aren't showing any dryrot from being left out in the sun I wouldn't worry about it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.