Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a used 83 shadow VT500C in pretty decent condition just needs the tires changed on it. Have the rear wheel removed pretty easily, but the service manual is pretty sparse on how to get the front wheel/axle off. Any tips on making it easier? It doesn't say I need to, but I assume that I need to remove the front brake caliper from the fork before removing the axle? Any help would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
1983 VT750C
8 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I also have an 83 VT750C Shadow and do all the wrenching on the bike. The first time I removed the front wheel , I did not remove the calipers and it was very hard to put the wheel back on. The second time I removed both calipers and it was much easier. I've only owned this bike about three years and about 500 miles of riding. It's a great bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum. I also have an 83 VT750C Shadow and do all the wrenching on the bike. The first time I removed the front wheel , I did not remove the calipers and it was very hard to put the wheel back on. The second time I removed both calipers and it was much easier. I've only owned this bike about three years and about 500 miles of riding. It's a great bike.
Awesome! I'll do that and see if that makes it a little easier; thanks for the advice. My goal is to do most of my own wrenching when possible so good to hear someone else does it too

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Make sure to strap the brake caliper to the frame etc to prevent it from dangling in the air. That's so the brake line connection don't get stressed as it would if the caliper was hanging from the brake line. Avoid twisting the caliper, too. I use a solid copper wire to hang the caliper out of the way.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Front wheel is easy and straight forward. It can be done without or without removing the caliper. I would remove the caliper so you can clean it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Going through everything I can get the front axle unscrewed about 3/4 of the way and then it starts clicking and won't come out of the left fork case. Thinking it may be stripped inside the case and will have to get it to a shop at this point

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,489 Posts
You DID take out this bolt ???
Maybe if you can turn the axle as you pull, it will get by a burr in the shaft?
Maybe it is rusted to one of the bearings in the wheel?

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts