Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all, and many miles of enjoyment. A little about myself, over 60 , had numerous bikes, have a 1100 spirit now, love it. I hve two questions, best seat for a skinny old fart (150, 5" 11), and rear suspension. If this is posting more than once, please tell me what i am doing wrong. thanks

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
If the stock seat is killing you, (some it does others are fine) the Mustang Wide Vintage is a good choice.

Rear suspension, Progessive 412's or the rebuildable and more expensive 440's with IAS -lifetime warranty on the 440's. But you pay for it.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Welcome To The Forum!
Most feel the stock seat on the 1100 Spirit is pretty good, but probably the #1 replacement seat on this forum is one of the "Mustang" models.

I'll send this topic to another member to help you with your suspension question.
MarkC

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Well, never mind. The other member I was talking about just showed up :lol:
Hi Chuck :!:
MarkC

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hey DB, good to have you on board.

I will second the Mustang suggestion. From my experiences it can't be beat.

·
Registered
590 Posts
dennis b said:
Hi to all, and many miles of enjoyment. A little about myself, over 60 , had numerous bikes, have a 1100 spirit now, love it. I hve two questions, best seat for a skinny old fart (150, 5" 11), and rear suspension. If this is posting more than once, please tell me what i am doing wrong. thanks
Dennis WELCOME. :) I understand the seat but not the suspension. What kind of a problem are you having with your rear. :oops: I never found stock seat to be a problem for me but wife said "not riding anymore " So went with Mustang Wide, Great for most but I found, she found, the seams in pillon hurt her little butt, incase she is watching, otherwize Mustang`s work.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Welcome aboard Dennis. Since I have one, the Mustang seat gets my seal of approval.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Spirited, my concern with the stock rear is that even with spring preload adjusted, when we or I go over some "dips" it just keeps bounceing like the shocks are bad. The bike only has 5,000 on it. The front is ok.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
dennis b said:
Spirited, my concern with the stock rear is that even with spring preload adjusted, when we or I go over some "dips" it just keeps bounceing like the shocks are bad. The bike only has 5,000 on it. The front is ok.
have you checked the weight limit of your bike? (365 lbs) the closer you get to that limit the more you may find the need to re-work the suspension, maybe front and rear.
MarkC

·
Registered
590 Posts
dennis b said:
Sorry dennis, but I have to ask; are you turning shocks to right way ? Hard to understand at 5,000 miles that they are shot. :roll:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:( Sorry to say but yes started with "2" setting and slowly went up to "4" ride got firmer but still slushy on dips

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
dennis b said:
:( Sorry to say but yes started with "2" setting and slowly went up to "4" ride got firmer but still slushy on dips
Back to the "Rated Load Limit" ?
The bike's rider, passenger, saddle bags/tank bags, helmets, boots, leathers, and windshield is all part of the total rated "Max Load Limit".
Two 165lb people would be 330lbs of that total load limit.
The closer you get to that limit will mean the closer you are about to run out of the limits of the stock suspension. How close to the rated load limit are you?
MarkC

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Also, it might be good to add that adjusting the rear springs only changes the stiffness of the shocks and NOT the damping of them. The factory rear shocks are sealed, so the damping of them can't be changed.

But, the oil in the front forks can be changed to a heavier weight to change the damping of the front suspension, also a short spacer can be added to the stock front springs to stiffen them up a bit.
MarkC

1 - 15 of 15 Posts