Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't do much night riding. I have my light bar hooked up to my high beams. I run my driving light during the day but at night with high beams and driving lights is that to much for on coming cars and when I come up to someone at a light. Sometimes at a light I will switch to low beams so I am not beaming into some ones mirrors or rear view. Any other helpful tips for night time driving?

·
Registered
‘00 Valkyrie Interstate, ‘01 Spirit 1100, 99 VLX
1,341 Posts
PA,

You may want to consider running your aux lights through a relay to a switch independent of your hi / low beams. That way you can decide when you want the aux lights to see, to be seen (day or night), or even turn them off to be courteous in heavy / stop & go traffic.

Lots more options, and you have full control!

CB

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
CleoBen said:
PA,

You may want to consider running your aux lights through a relay to a switch independent of your hi / low beams. That way you can decide when you want the aux lights to see, to be seen (day or night), or even turn them off to be courteous in heavy / stop & go traffic.

Lots more options, and you have full control!

CB
It also takes some of the load away from the fuse for the headlights and in case something goes hay wire with either the driving lights or main headlight, you have a back up. Like Cleo mentioned"more options". You just have to get into the habit of turning them off manually.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Put as many LED lights on your bike as you can. They take very little power and look cool at night. I think the future is going to be LEDs in every vehicle. If not, it should be. They seem to last forever, no heat and are impervious to vibration.

·
Registered
‘00 Valkyrie Interstate, ‘01 Spirit 1100, 99 VLX
1,341 Posts
tcb1100 said:
You just have to get into the habit of turning them off manually.
My hot wire to switch the relay comes from a switched source (rear running light bullet plugs under the seat), so I can't forget (again :oops: :oops: :oops: ) to turn them off!

CB

·
Registered
949 Posts
PainterD said:
Put as many LED lights on your bike as you can. They take very little power and look cool at night. I think the future is going to be LEDs in every vehicle. If not, it should be. They seem to last forever, no heat and are impervious to vibration.
The car companies are woring on getting LED headlamps into some of the higher end cars soon.

They have a prototype for the caddys that shine brighter than stock lights and make the logo faintly visible on the road.

Read that somewhere, can't remember where, but it is still a little ways off.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
I run my auxillary lights off the low beam, only use them at nite or early am and can see the road much better, each is 55w, when no traffic coming I switch to hi beam, my problem was always at low beam and couldn't see the road as good, I also switched the stock headlights to the SilverStar 9003 (55/65 watts) and that really helped me out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts