Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Just joined this forum today in hope of finding help from the experts.
My brother gave me a 2007 VLX600 with only 400 miles on it. It was running great for a while, then suddenly lost all electricity when I was riding (no light or LED at all).
I checked all the fuses and the continuity of the wire and they seem to be intact.
I got the wire diagram and tried disconnecting each connector at a time and finally found that when I disconnected the connector for "Starter and kill switch", the neutral and oil LED turned on. Checked these switches and they work as expected. My guess now is the problem of the Ignition Control Module (ICM).
So my questions are:
1. Could a dead ICM cause electricity lost on the whole system?
2. Is there a way to check the ICM to see if it works or not? Would a Honda dealer perform such test?

Thanks in advanced for all feedback.

·
Premium Member
7,428 Posts
If you haven't already, clean and check your battery and solenoid connections. What does it do when you turn on the key? Do you have any lights? What does it do when you push the start button? My first thought was the start button has dried up, sticky grease in it and needs to be cleaned, but we'll see. With only 400 miles, there certainly isn't anything worn out.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,839 Posts
The ICM will not cause an electrical power loss. Only ignition failure.
Look at the connector under the starter solenoid. Some guys have found it has heated and burned a conection there. The red wire has to feed everything from the 30 amp main fuse.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of your responses. I was able to get back to the bike yesterday.

To smilie: As I mentioned on my first post, when I turn on the key there is no lights or LED at all. I used a voltmeter to checked the start button, and it works as expected (connecting when pressed, open when released).

To swifty2014: I checked the connector and nothing's wrong there.

One thing that I forgot to mention last time. When the key is in "Off" position, the voltage between battery terminals is 12 volts. But when the key is "On", the voltage drops close to 0. When I disconnect the connector to the starter and kill switch, the voltage doesn't get dropped and the neutral, oil lights turned on.

I've read some threads of people asking for this same symptom, but looks like no one knows the answer.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,839 Posts
You mean you are measuring across the battery, and the voltage drops to 0 while your meter is still across the positive and negative terminals??? That is hardly any load on a decent battery.It should not even go down 1/2 volt.
Jump it with a non-running car battery and see what improves.

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,259 Posts
Do a search and type in No Electric. There are about 25 pages of this mystery. I had it a while back on my 2002 Spirit 1100. From what I remember, unhook your battery and jump your bike straight from a non-running car battery. This seemed like it would reset something. I would get lights again and all would work after the jump. Sometime soon after I replaced my voltage regulator because I was only getting about 12.5 volts most of the time. I also replaced the battery around that time also and never had another issue. Good luck as to what actually fixes it seems to be unknown but the results are that something usually fixes it.

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,259 Posts
My issue was under Analysis needed, Lost all electrical, if you want to do a search on that one.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Thanks for all of your responses. I was able to get back to the bike yesterday.

To smilie: As I mentioned on my first post, when I turn on the key there is no lights or LED at all. I used a voltmeter to checked the start button, and it works as expected (connecting when pressed, open when released).

To swifty2014: I checked the connector and nothing's wrong there.

One thing that I forgot to mention last time. When the key is in "Off" position, the voltage between battery terminals is 12 volts. But when the key is "On", the voltage drops close to 0. When I disconnect the connector to the starter and kill switch, the voltage doesn't get dropped and the neutral, oil lights turned on.

I've read some threads of people asking for this same symptom, but looks like no one knows the answer.
Have the battery tested. It is not possible to drop a good battery to 0 volts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks y'all! I tried to jump with a non-running car battery as swifty2014 suggested, and it works.
I didn't think of the battery issue because:
1. It's fairly new (bought it couple months ago). I guess I got a lemon.
2. I thought it's just like car battery. If it's weak, you still have lights. Never thought that motorcycles are different :)

Anyway, time to order a new battery. Thanks again for all of your helps.

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
5,725 Posts
You should also check your charging system.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,839 Posts
Easy basic test=

Put your meter across the battery and see if at rest it is at least 12.5 volts. May need a charge first.
Then watch it while you crank it for 10 seconds and it should be above 9.5 to 10 volts.
Then while running see if it can stay up to 13.5 to 14.5 volts as you rev it above 3000 RPM.
That will tell the basic health of the battery and charging system.

Reactions: gonerydin

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Easy basic test=

Put your meter across the battery and see if at rest it is at least 12.5 volts. May need a charge first.
Then watch it while you crank it for 10 seconds and it should be above 9.5 to 10 volts.
Then while running see if it can stay up to 13.5 to 14.5 volts as you rev it above 3000 RPM.
That will tell the basic health of the battery and charging system.
Bought a new battery and the bike is up and running again. Measure the voltage across the battery @ 3000 RPM, and it's the range you mentioned above. So the charging system looks good. Thanks for all of your helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good job.. corrosion is an issue between the stator and the rectifier..(connection) . mine melted...the rectifiers job is to defuse unused or wanted electricity to the system either battery or lights etc....if the rectifier goes bad ($16.97 from china) then it allows too much voltage to go to the battery and your battery will die prematurely... january this year i got a vt600a DELUX...just like yours except mine was
in poor condition. .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts