Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey. just registered here. i have a '96 VT600 and i have a no start problem. i have power going into both of my coils but nothing going out. other than having two coils going bad at the exact same time, is there another reason that might cause that. i checked my main fuse. its good as are all of my other fuses. any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
What do you mean there is nothing coming out? Were you checking it when you were turning it over? Or just measured the input vs the output with the key on?

Gonz

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im checking it while turning it over. ive tried new plugs already. ive got absolutely no spark at all. it was running fine and then i had to move and i didnt start it for a long while and now im getting nothing at the plugs.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Are you trying it with the kickstand up and the bike in neutral?

Some models would prevent the coils from firing if one of the safety interlocks are activated.

Later models (not sure when they changed) the process was to disable the bike via the starter not turning if a safety interlock was active.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i tried that, too. is there another safety lock that would prevent fire that maybe i just haven't thought about. and i just dont see both coils going out at the exact same time. but i guess it could happen.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
It's very unlikely that both coils would go bad. That's almost unheard of. If anything would prevent both coils from firing, and the safety interlocks are not an issue, then the only thing left is the "black box" that controls the ignition timing. That controls both coils, and if it's dead then the coils have nothing to work with. You're sure you have voltage on the primary of both coils?

--Justin

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I don't see that either.....if all else is good I would look at the ign control module, but first I would check all of the connections and clean them. Take apart all of the connectors and lightly file them with an emory board (I have a small file just for this) if there is any build up.

I would also be looking for a crank position sensor if there is one....probably along the lines of an ingition pulse generator....

What about the stop/run switch? YOu are certain it is on? Have you taken it apart and cleaned it?

The problem when found will be simple my friend.....
just keep looking.

Gonz

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im sure i have voltage at the primaries of both coils. the sart/run switch is on, but i haven't torn it down and cleaned it yet. i'll definintely give that a try. i'll start cleaning all my connections as well. hopefully i can come up with the problem. thanks fellas.

nick

·
Registered
10 Posts
no spark

Hi There,

I am having the same problem right now. Did you find the solution to yours? Thinking it may give me some ideas...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts