Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I asked this about a yr. ago and just wondered if opinions changed much. I rode yesterday without helmet and MAN was it nice! I love riding despite helmet also but for sure more without. Adjusted shield forward so air would just hit top of my head, like I was getting a head massage at 75-80. How about you?

maurice

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think I asked this about a yr. ago and just wondered if opinions changed much. I rode yesterday without helmet and MAN was it nice! I love riding despite helmet also but for sure more without. Adjusted shield forward so air would just hit top of my head, like I was getting a head massage at 75-80. How about you?

maurice
curious...do you wear sunglasses when you ride...helmet or no helmet?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I enjoy riding with or without a helmet. For the most part i am forced to wear one as alot of my riding is done in vermont where there's a helmet law but when i'm in NH then i'm free and clear so i'll go without.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I ride without in Arkansas which I live just over the border from and in Oklahoma when we are there riding with friends. I am forced to wear one here in Missouri and use a half helmet in good weather and a full face in rain or cold.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I ride w/o a helmet when I'm up in the woods or just tooling around in Idaho, but prefer one at highway speeds wherever I'm at. Getting nailed by rocks or bees hurts more than the helmet-less experience is worth. Here in WA, I have to wear a helmet. We'll see when I finally get to take the bike out and check out the new windshield, though... a half-helmet might be in my future. Sunglasses, yup... eye protection is important to me :)

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Helmets are mandatory where I live, so I wear one almost all the time. But, yes, when in Montana I rode for an afternoon without one and it was enjoyable.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Have to wear one here in GA, but would wear one anyway on highway or interstate.

However, when just poking around the backroads in no real hurry I would love to be able to ride without one.

·
Registered
649 Posts
They are optional here, and I used to ride without, but one day, several years ago, I just decided it was not the smartest option. Sure glad I did, as I crashed hard on 11/28/10. My helmet may have saved my life.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Ok, we know that riding is about managing risk and we all are willing to assume differnt levels of risk.

Evaluate the risk, make a decision, and then live with what happens or what doesn't happen...

I would encourage you to wear all the gear all the time but I myself don't follow that...

So, if you need help convincing your spouse just say what we did in high school..."honestly baby, if you loved me you wouldn't make me wear protection!"....

Buy hey, its not you were risking taking a hit from a rock or road rash....

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I dislike windscreens, but won't ride w/o a helmet anymore... just can't be comfortable without one on. I wear a fullface w/ sunglasses and the shield up more often than not. I won't put my truck into gear without a seatbelt on for that matter.....

·
Registered
18 Posts
always wear you gear, have seen to many friends go down, on old lady pulled out in front of my boss and he hit her, lucky he had his gear on , you never know, better safe than sorry..

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
it was interesting when I was in South Carolina last year how many people were riding around just wearing shorts and flip flops, occasionally you'd see someone with a pair of tennis shoes on. My impression was since there was no helmet law that all safety became disregarded. I don't believe you have to wrap yourself in leather just to go to the local store for a pack of smokes, but I spent 4 months in a hospital surrounded by guys that were in bike wrecks and it wasn't pleasant.....

·
Registered
932 Posts
We have a helmet law here as well. I would still ride with one even if there was not a law. It has a lot to do with my comfort level and that of my wife. She supports my riding and I take care not to cause her undue stress and worry. The windshield on my truck has several rock dings in it. When riding I have had a number of unknown objects bounce off the brain bucket that would have otherwise made impact with my melon. I prefer FF but have also purchased one that has the swing up chin bar for summer rides. I'll always wear jeans and boots since that just makes sense to me. I like my jacket with the protection pads and don't mind the extra bother of putting it on. It is well vented and at speed is not uncomfortable.

·
Registered
139 Posts
In north carolina we got the helmet law and Id wear a helmet in town anyway but on my way to bike week in myrtle cruising down the backroads in south carolina I dont wear one I love that wind in my hair I know its risky but ridin a bike in general is dangerous thats part of the alure thats why girls think us bikers are sexy lol If I die on my bike I hope everybody knows the last thing on my mind was enjoying the freedom of the open highway

·
Registered
270 Posts
Helmets are optional in IL, but I only have one brain and one face. While they may not be much to speak of, I'm kinda fond of 'em. I always wear a full face, often without the shield but always with glasses. I've ridden without, but it's not worth the risk to me.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
All depends on where I'm going and when. Altho I admit to wearing a helmet most of the time, even tho I don't have to.

Also gotta admit that a skid lid (1/2 helmet) has been the best compromise I've found so far :D

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
hey Thayter, does that swing up chin bar not catch the wind?? I don't give a flying s**t if I die in a motorcycle wreck, it's surviving one while not wearing a helmet and being left a drooling idiot... well... any more of a drooling idiot than I normally am. Them skin grafts looked painful and I wouldn't want one done on my noggin.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts