Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Banned
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got three leg burns in a matter of a few days with my new '05 Shadow Spirit 1100. The ONLY other v-twin I've had, was a Vulcan 750, but there was an exhaust pipe on each side of the bike, and pipes were routed more under the bike, rather than on the side.

The Shadow burns happened getting on and off the bike, and at red lights; NEVER while riding down the road.

Here is my fix:

· Registered
2,698 Posts
The one exhaust shroud i can see looks very small compared to my stock pipes and it looks like the one for the front/bottom pipe is missing. If that is the case you can order new ones. Never burned my leg on the pipe unless i was pushing it and it was hot (i learned after the one time).

Dingo.

· Registered
5,282 Posts
Never burned my leg on the pipe unless i was pushing it and it was hot (i learned after the one time).
Never did either, but then again I never wear shorts on a bike. I agree about replacing the missing covers, they are there for a reason.

· Premium Member
8,941 Posts
I probably would have fried my little leg-bones bunches of times if I wore shorts when I ride, Unfortunately I'm just not wired that way :) .. Cool fix tho'..

· Registered
365 Posts
I know your pain, literally! I've almost quit riding in shorts, blue jeans instead. But I've learned to take an extra wide step with my right leg at red lights. The missing guards on your exhausts wouldn't help you much any way. I get burned on them because they get hot as well.

· Banned
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The one exhaust shroud i can see looks very small compared to my stock pipes and it looks like the one for the front/bottom pipe is missing.
Huh? The chrome IS the shroud over the black pipe underneath. There are a couple mini oval shrouds to protect passenger's toe and rider's heel.

Here is a completely different bike, and it looks identical to mine. Nothing is missing on mine.

· Premium Member
8,941 Posts
Huh? The chrome IS the shroud over the black pipe underneath. There are a couple mini oval shrouds to protect passenger's toe and rider's heel.

Here is a completely different bike, and it looks identical to mine. Nothing is missing on mine.

Here's a pic of my bike sans hardbags.. The newer shadows - maybe the older ones too? Have large heat shields..

· Banned
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's a pic of my bike sans hardbags.. The newer shadows - maybe the older ones too? Have large heat shields..
Bingo! Obviously Honda must have had lots of complaints about burns, and added the extra heat shield in later years! Now I need to find out if there is a recall for the problem and/or a retrofit kit for the older models.

· Banned
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mark's Spirit is a 750 and yours is an 1100. There was no recall on the 1100's and the Spirit didn't change anything but color from 97-07. The exhaust on your bike is completely stock and nothing is missing.
Thanks!

But that's weird, because the 1100 would naturally produce more heat than a 750, and therefore needs an add'l heat shield more than a 750.

Unless Honda figure more ladies ride 750s, and can get more easily burned due to wearing dresses. :wink:

· Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,933 Posts
Wear shorts and touch hot exhaust with my leg, it`ll burn!!! Ain`t nothing new about this...
I`ve melted my insulated suit and rainsuit on the exhaust, I sure ain`t wanting to melt skin...

I wear Chaps when I ride,
D

· Registered
1,439 Posts
Wrapping the raw exhaust pipe with high quality heat wrap then putting the heat shields over them works to a good degree. I think it works better than wrapping over the heat shield or just wrapping and not using the heat shield. This what I did on my 87 vt1100c. But in shorts? Living dangerously. I do it and when I do I'm likely to get a burn. But with the wrap under the shields it far less painful.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

· Premium Member
8,941 Posts
Bingo! Obviously Honda must have had lots of complaints about burns, and added the extra heat shield in later years! Now I need to find out if there is a recall for the problem and/or a retrofit kit for the older models.
Here's a few bunches of aftermarket heat shields, with all the bends and curves in the average pipe, it's anybody's guess where they would be able to fit.. I suppose you could rig some to work, though.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/ccsearch.cfm?q=Heat+Shield&view=&search2.x=0&search2.y=0

If that link doesn't work, just search for heat shields at C-Customizing..

I doubt there would be a recall on pipes due to lack of heat shields and even those larger heat shields on the newer Shadow pipes get pretty-freakin hot..

· Registered
7,916 Posts
Have fun digging gravel out of what's left of your leg if you go down in shorts
Says the guy in a short sleeve tee shirt. I guess you just protect your legs?

Wear what you want to wear. What others do or don't wear should be of no concern to you.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.