Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,
Over the past few months, I've been fixing one issue after another on my '99 VT1100C. This one's got me stumped. Help...?
OK, the last issue was backfiring. Got that solved. Then smoke (just a little) started coming from the engine after start up. New gasket on the top exhaust pipe fixed that. But then it would rev to high RPMs (on its own) after start. Did some homework on that issue. When I went out to start it up again, nada. All lights come on when key is turned - except the neutral light indicator. I double-checked it was in neutral. Yep, but no start. Went through the gears a few times and back to neutral. Still nada. Kickstand up and clutch in - still no start. From what I know, that last attempt should have worked. Soooo.... I checked and adjusted the clutch... just in case. No luck.
I am officially baffled. I pulled the tank off and followed the wiring to the connector thinking maybe I'd run into a blown fuse or faulty wiring. Everything looked OK. But then I'm not so comfortable where electrical systems are concerned, so I decided not to pursue on the chance I might screw something else up.
Somehow, I've successfully tackled every problem this hussy Shadow has had. You Tube offers nothing on addressing this one. Any 411 or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2000 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C
2,997 Posts
Here's some advice for you.

The last thread you started about your rear brakes resulted in the guys offering you detailed and helpful advice as they tried to help you. For whatever reason, you chose not to respond to them, or even post in the thread again. Acknowledging those who try to help you will go a long way toward solving your problems.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My shadow is currently in the same state, I'm close to the big solve. Jump the starter solenoid to see if it tries to go. Testing the safety switches is as far as I've gotten.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)
Here's some advice for you.

The last thread you started about your rear brakes resulted in the guys offering you detailed and helpful advice as they tried to help you. For whatever reason, you chose not to respond to them, or even post in the thread again. Acknowledging those who try to help you will go a long way toward solving your problems.
Hi, You are right. Thank you for the [good] advice. I'm usually very good about acknowledging kind people. My humble, yet sincere apologies for disappearing after my post. Life got a bit challenging and overwhelming as I had to deal with some personal stuff. I didn't even make the effort to stay in touch with my mom, and that's not normal. So - - I'm sorry.

·
Administrator
1997 Valkyrie Standard
10,828 Posts
Hi, You are right. Thank you for the [good] advice. I'm usually very good about acknowledging kind people. My humble, yet sincere apologies for disappearing after my post. Life got a bit challenging and overwhelming as I had to deal with some personal stuff. I didn't even make the effort to stay in touch with my mom, and that's not normal. So - - I'm sorry.
I wouldn't too much about it, everyone gets busy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Chuck Michigan,
Thank you for your advice. You are 100% right. I'm usually very good about acknowledging kind, helpful people as they are a rarity in this world. After I posted, life threw me a curveball and I sorta disappeared for a while... didn't even call my mom. However, all of the craziness goin on right now definitely puts my personal problems back into perspective.
I'm glad you reminded me to appreciate and not take for granted the kindness in this world. I'll post an apology. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,428 Posts
Hi Chuck Michigan,
Thank you for your advice. You are 100% right. I'm usually very good about acknowledging kind, helpful people as they are a rarity in this world. After I posted, life threw me a curveball and I sorta disappeared for a while... didn't even call my mom. However, all of the craziness goin on right now definitely puts my personal problems back into perspective.
I'm glad you reminded me to appreciate and not take for granted the kindness in this world. I'll post an apology. ;)
You don't need to apologize to anyone. Not like you snapped and told anyone to go pee up a rope or anything. It's just that often times we never get to hear the rest of the story. Glad to hear someone here was able to help with your issues. (y)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
~laughing~. I don't think I've ever told anyone to go piss on a rope... ~laughing again~

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Still not having any luck. So I'm guessing no one here has had this problem and / or solved it?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope. Tried all the obvious things before spewing a string of really bad words and posting here.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,845 Posts
Silly question have you checked the bulb???
But no matter, if the transmission is in neutral it should crank if the neutral switch is working. So back to basics. The light is controlled by the neutral switch grounding the light bulb, So if the neutral switch has worn out and the contacts are bad, or the wire broke, it won't turn the light on, And if it can't ground the circuit the start relay won't see the ground signal either. If you temporarily add a ground wire to the connection at the start solenoid it will eliminate all the other wiring as a test of the ability to crank the engine.
Then if that works you have to go down the line and find where the connection is lost through the wiring and switches.

Attachments

Reactions: kesanders

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,260 Posts
I think Swifty probably has it on this one. Just noting something odd on my 2002 Spirit 1100. Nearly every manual vehicle I have ever had you can start them either with it in neutral or in gear with the clutch in. I usually always start my bike with it in neutral. One day I decided to just pull the clutch in and start it. The bike will not start unless it is in neutral but I don't have to pull the clutch in. Mine will not start in gear even with the clutch pulled in.

·
Registered
02 1100 Spirit / 2012 Goldwing
4,909 Posts
I think Swifty probably has it on this one. Just noting something odd on my 2002 Spirit 1100. Nearly every manual vehicle I have ever had you can start them either with it in neutral or in gear with the clutch in. I usually always start my bike with it in neutral. One day I decided to just pull the clutch in and start it. The bike will not start unless it is in neutral but I don't have to pull the clutch in. Mine will not start in gear even with the clutch pulled in.
My wife's VLX was having the same issue. It has aftermarket levers and with the clutch lever pulled in the lever didn't allow the plunger on the switch to fully come out. I little grinding on the lever and Presto! she starts in gear with the clutch pulled in.

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,260 Posts
My wife's VLX was having the same issue. It has aftermarket levers and with the clutch lever pulled in the lever didn't allow the plunger on the switch to fully come out. I little grinding on the lever and Presto! she starts in gear with the clutch pulled in.
I may have to check mine to see if that's the case. Thanks

·
Registered
614 Posts
kesander, your clutch switch is not working or out of adjustment, it can be taken apart and cleaned also.

Chickbiker, you probably popped one or both of the diodes, you can replace them with a couple from an electronics store. something like a 1N4001 diode would work, I used a couple from an old Sperry printer to fix a Shadow once before. Follow the wire back from the neutral switch on the lower left side of the engine, the bar in the symbol is the silver band, solder them together like the diagram and heat shrink them

·
Premium Member
2000 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C
2,997 Posts
With bike in gear...

Kickstand down, clutch in = no start
Kickstand up, clutch in = start

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was trying to work through the electrical … checked fuses... battery's good... made sure connections were connected... I ran out of wires to follow and connections to double-check, so I turned the key to see if it would (cut me some @#%&! slack and) start. And nothing. Nada. Now the entire electrical is dead. No lights (I had lights before). No horn. Nothin. I checked the main fuse. It's fine. You're thinkin a couple of diodes might have popped. Since I have no clue what a diode is or what it does, I'll do some homework. You also mentioned a suggestion that seemed like it should have had a pic or diagram to follow... ??

1 - 20 of 35 Posts