Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aw man.

So I went riding with a friend of mine. She's been asking for a ride for a while now so finally I gave in.

Had to stop for gas, so I filled up and I splashed a bit of gas on the tank. No worries, I'll just...

And suddenly she runs up with a paper towlel from the dispenser and rubs off the gas droplets as if she were the guard in Silkwood.

Now I have these long scuffy scratches going down the length of the tank... and I can't really be MAD because she was just trying to be helpful... but... aw MAN!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Is your paint that perfect, that you can see scratches caused by a paper towel one time? Or is your paint that soft that it scratches one time?
Polishing compound should take care of it easily (don't use rubbing compound, it has more abrasives).
Dan

·
Registered
177 Posts
thats a easy fix.....you have turtle on yourside

·
Registered
467 Posts
Aw man.

So I went riding with a friend of mine. She's been asking for a ride for a while now so finally I gave in.

Had to stop for gas, so I filled up and I splashed a bit of gas on the tank. No worries, I'll just...

And suddenly she runs up with a paper towlel from the dispenser and rubs off the gas droplets as if she were the guard in Silkwood.

Now I have these long scuffy scratches going down the length of the tank... and I can't really be MAD because she was just trying to be helpful... but... aw MAN!
I feel for you man but if it was me i would be too busy laughing at the situation

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
That should come out with polish , unless the tank was sprayed with rain water off the road, dried, and then ground in by rubbing. My wife did that to my truck once, by trying to shine a spot before cleaning it off first. Of course she'll on occasion drop the rag on the driveway, pick it up and continue sanding , I mean washing my truck with nice scratches.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I always use the paper towels from the dispenser. Every time I fill up, there's always a drop or two that comes from the nozzle as I pull it back out. I wipe down that area and usually the front of the tank where the dead bugs are. No scratches in my paint. (but I wash and wax it nearly every weekend.)

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
I have a brother who was (he has calmed down a bit with age) so anally obsessed about his vehicles he would make his kids take their shoes off before getting into his cars on a rainy or snowy day. Watching him lose sleep over scratches, parking miles away from entrances, and....... using toothbrushes to clean his cars,

Cleaning his cars was not a "labor of love" it was Zanax city every time he found a slight imperfection ding or scratch.....well i decided I am not going there. I let whatever will happen, happen then when I go to sell, I get her detailed and all the aesthetic stuff looking like new or replaced. Same with our other vehicles. They rarely look like we are driving home from the showroom. I cannot imagine using a toothbrush sitting on a chair with little wheels to clean a daily driver. Maybe a hobby show car before a meet.

He now will only buy silver cars because they hide the most imperfections and has calmed down a bit regarding the other stuff. He doesn't use a car cover in the garage anymore.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is your paint that perfect, that you can see scratches caused by a paper towel one time? Or is your paint that soft that it scratches one time?
Polishing compound should take care of it easily (don't use rubbing compound, it has more abrasives).
Dan

Oh... maybe I should have clarified... We were just riding in a dusty area (2 lane highways with farm machines running, a gravel road or two) and the bike was really dusty, so the towel plus all that dust had a mild "sandpaper" effect.

I agree with what everyone is saying though. I do tend to be a little anal retentive about my things, but I guess it's because of my being that way that my cars and bike (all 10-15 years old) look like new. I'm not as bad as Hondaguy described, but I do knock my feet together to get the snow off before I get inside, etc. That's mostly so the carpets don't absorb the water and smell moldy though.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
All, or most, of the above... plus, be glad she cared about your ride, despite her potential ignorance :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts