Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2007 Honda 1100 Sabre. Was having problems starting, craking but was not starting. Started for one time for a very short period, seemed to be a fuel issue, figured I flooded the bike. Came back the next day tried again, no success. Tried a third day but had no power to the bike at all. Checked battery, has 12 volts, checked all fuses including the main 30 amp, all good, replaced 30 amp just in case - still no power at all, no lights horn etc.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
7,686 Posts
First thing you need to do is get a good charge in the battery. If you've been cranking it unsuccessfully, chances are voltage is low. Charge battery fully and retry. If it doesn't start, keep the charger on to keep battery at peak voltage and c'mon back. Also make sure all your connections are good and clean.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, forgot to mention, during each down time I did have the batter on the tender and before each attempt it was showing the battery above 80%. When it was turning over but not starting it would still have lights and horn but now it has no power to anything. That is why I thought it may have been the 30 amp main fuse but as I said that was good and changed it anyway to be safe.

thanks for the feedback

·
Premium Member
7,686 Posts
Did you check your kill switch? Connections?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Just a wild assed guess, but if the main fuse is good and all the others too, is the ignition switch closing like it should? Take a good look at the wiring. Plugs tight? Do you have a meter or at least a test lamp? Probe solenoid for power present at the large battery lug.
A loose or dirty ground point could do this. Is the main fuse holder clean and tight? These do deteriorate over the years but yours is pretty new for that to happen. Post more info as the situation develops.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Have a 2007 Honda 1100 Sabre. Was having problems starting, craking but was not starting. Started for one time for a very short period, seemed to be a fuel issue, figured I flooded the bike. Came back the next day tried again, no success. Tried a third day but had no power to the bike at all. Checked battery, has 12 volts, checked all fuses including the main 30 amp, all good, replaced 30 amp just in case - still no power at all, no lights horn etc.

Any ideas?
A fully charged battery should measure 13+ volts. Try jumping the battery with your vehicle's battery WITHOUT THE ENGINE RUNNING. If you get lights and it starts you will need to replace the battery. Make sure your bike's battery terminals and cable connectors are shiny clean and the battery's fluid is between the level marks.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Take the battery out and get it load tested first. A fully charged battery should read 13.1 volts. You might have a dead cell in the battery.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
As eagle and BPP have said 12v is not enough to start the engine..a battery tender is not enough to charge a battery but is to keep the level of the charge, thus if your battery reads 13.2 volts fully charged the tender will keep it at 13.2 volts until you need to use it again.. A digital multimeter is best for fault finding on a motorbike because it will display points of a volt and a DMM for under £10 is ideal becaus if you use it on the wrong range it takes fractions of a second to destroy it..much better to destroy a £10 meter than a £100 meter...

so..

Charge the battery to a minimum of 12.6 volts (read after you have disconnected the charger)

Get a spare sparkplug and pull one of the plug leads off, fit it to the spare sparkplug and use a piece of wood to press the thread of the spare plug to the metal of the engine..get someone to turn the engine over while you watch for a spark.. if you have a spark the fault is somewhere in the fuel supply..If you don't have a spark you have either an electrical fault or a switch in the wrong position..

John.

John.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
this is why I love this site, no matter the problem, there is an answer for those of us that will read and accept, from folks that know the answer!

·
Registered
260 Posts
If the battery is low it can cause all sorts of weird thing... With starting it could run the fuel pump and starter, but not generate spark... It could run fuel and spark, but not starter, or run starter and spark, but not fuel... Take the battery out and get it properly tested!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts