Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 98 shadow stopped running at 70 miles per hour and luckily momentum got of the road safely. Now I have no power to any portion of the bike. My battery is strong, can anyone help, please?

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
16,512 Posts
Battery terminals clean and tight? Main 30 amp fuse OK ?
Charging system may have quit.Does it crank ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Battery terminals clean and tight? Main 30 amp fuse OK ?
Charging system may have quit.Does it crank ?
Battery terminals are clean. The odometer and speedometer shut off going down the highway. Once I got pulled over, it ran for 30 seconds at idle and now there is no power to any part of the bike. It does not crank. Where is the 30 amp fuse located? 98 shadow aero 1100.

·
Registered
1989 Honda Shadow VT600C
128 Posts
The 30 amp fuze is the main fuse coming off the positive battery terminal

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
16,512 Posts
The newer bikes have a green push in blade 30 amp fuse in the starter solenoid assembly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So my 98 shadow stopped running at 70 miles per hour and luckily momentum got of the road safely. Now I have no power to any portion of the bike. My battery is strong, can anyone help, please?
Changing the starter solenoid did not help. Tomorrow I will remove the tank and inspect the wiring beneath it. I am thinking that the ignition switch may have failed, but there is no evidence of that. I don't want to start simply replacing parts. It may have to go to a mechanic.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
16,512 Posts
Put your meter on the yellow/red wire at the solenoid and see if every time you push the start switch it gets battery voltage.
If there is any doubt about the battery power, jump it with a non-running car battery so you don't have power drops causing you to go in circles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't have power anywhere past the starter solenoid. No lights or digital odometer. Before changing the solenoid, even that lost power with the switch on. I am guessing that it has a dead short somewhere and is grounding out.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
16,512 Posts
A short will blow fuses or melt wires. So it should be an open connection or corroded terminal, etc.
But make sure the battery is HOT.
A few guys have had the connector that plugs into the starter solenoid had burned pins, so the power for the red wire that powers the ignition was open from that point.
From there the main power probably goes through a big connector to get to the ignition and back out from it.

·
Registered
'83 VT750C
1,177 Posts
All your stuff shouldn’t be powered through that solenoid. It should be for starting only. When you find the common connection between everything affected, beyond the 30A main fuse, which you should double-check, that’s most likely where you’ll find the break.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Could be a short in the key switch.. had a Harley sportster that the key switch shorted out from vibration and about burnt me and the bike down.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
16,512 Posts
There again, a short will burn something.
An open circuit will just not let things work.
A short can be this=

Attachments

Reactions: kesanders

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
2,008 Posts
Search through the forum. I had an issue similar a while back on my spirit 1100. Disconnect the battery positive. Connect the jumper cable from a non-running car battery to your positive cable and your battery negative. See if you get your electrics back. I think mine ended up being a flaky battery and I swapped out my regulator and I haven't had any more issues if I recall correctly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts