Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went riding Sunday and parked the bike when we were done. (98 750 shadow ace) I went into the garage tues and the bike would not start. Its in neutral, the lights are on, and the starter engages. To narrow it down between fuel and ignition , i pulled a spark plug wire and plug to check for spark and got nothing.

Normally I'd trace down the wiring from the plug to the coils etc... but I was hoping someone had a better idea. Is there a fuse that would affect only the coils and not the ignition switch or is there some common situation that i might not be aware of causing this problem.

Its got to be something simple as this occurred with the bike just sitting there.

note; having checked one of the threads below, the suggestion would be to multimeter my battery. The battery does however seem fine with the starter spinning at a good clip.

note: battery has been checked and has a read of 12.57 so thats not it.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I would check your coil if I were you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so I pulled the two ignition leads off of the coil and stuck the MM into the pos and the neg and turned over the engine. i got no read untill i turned off the starter and then the read was a quick blip ranging from 12v - 17 v.
( alright this is all crap as I had to break down and check the manual)

note; apparently I've got two coils ,neither of which is sparking at the plugs so i would imagine that is not the problem. i also checked all the fuses in the fuse box and they seem fine.

i don't have a shadow manual but i do have a VTX manual.
they're calling the coil leads the p-2 connectors and claim i should get an initial read of 12 volts at the pos p-2 and a ground, which i get.

they're also saying i should get a peak voltage when one probe is on the coil pos lead and the other is grounded with the engine turning.
I'm not getting this peak read. around 100v

based on this info, the vtx manual is calling for a faulty peak voltage adapter and/or generator and/or a faulty icm , all of which are sure to be expensive.

so my question, does it seem as though i followed procedure when doing this check and if so are the conclusions correct.The icm leads are different on the vtx so i can't do an ignition pulse generator check. maybe if some body has the manual they could see which terminals are the correct ones to do this

maybe you can tell but this post was written over a period of an hour or so with me running up and down the basement steps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Final word on this problem ,

I don't have the means to double check the ig pulse gen. or voltage adapter but the manual seems to indicate that even with those as a problem i'd get some voltage reading. Since I don't get a reading , I'm going with the icm /cdi module.

i've had one of these go on another of my other vehicles and the symptoms were the same. Sometimes they just cut out.. Fortunately e-bay has an abundance of these units used so I can pay substantially less than the $300 retail price . about $90 used.

has anyone else had to replace the cdi module. The bikes only got 8k on it but it had been sitting for a couple of years.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
bodhi said:
Final word on this problem ,

has anyone else had to replace the cdi module. The bikes only got 8k on it but it had been sitting for a couple of years.
Yes, at about 17,000 miles mine went out. I was getting the same symptoms you are. I was lucky that the bike was under extended warranty, so I didn't have to pay for anything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts