Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I’m at a complete loss. Iv searched forms, you tube and face book for 2 days. 13.5 v battery. As far as my knowledge goes and wat everything is telling me eveything checks out good. Coils,cdi, the spark generator. I can’t not get spark to either coil. Took apart every plug cleaned and tested and I have the same readings on both sides on all of them, kill switch won’t crank if it’s off, it’s in netruel so I think I cna ellinnate the kick stand. Wat else can I check? Throw eveything at me yall can think of. The only thing I see abnormal is a small burn mark inside the plug for the voltage regulator but I’m getting same readings on both sides. Someone please save my life.

Update: cranks over strong, I have clutch and kill switch bypassed. Both small wires on the coils have about 12v going into coil. Iv checked for spark useing meter and screwdriver in plug against motor and get nothing. With a meter I see about 0.04 pop up wen I switch the kill switch. Prior to opening it up it would not crank if kill switch was off, I changed the bars and opened it up to look and found the wire had a nick in itX I repaired it but now the kill switch seems to be bypassed as it will crank with it on or off. Only other wierd thing I have found is a small burn mark inside the rectifier plug, and one time while testing for back and forth my rear coil got warm. Hopefully this will help some of you point me in the right direction. Pict if wen I got it and how she is now.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
16,905 Posts
Ist step is tell us what bike you have.
The regulator is only in the charging circuit, so won't affect spark.

·
Registered
'83 VT750C
1,403 Posts
So you didn’t intentionally bypass the kill switch. That’s weird, and the kill switch usually cuts off the spark, not the starter. Was any work done to the wires on the bars?

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,925 Posts
On th
So you didn’t intentionally bypass the kill switch. That’s weird, and the kill switch usually cuts off the spark, not the starter. Was any work done to the wires on the bars?
On the 750 ACE & Spirit the kill switch kills both.
The ICM is smarter once you get close to the dawn of the 21st Century.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It won’t crank with the kill switch off so I think it’s working properly. The spark generator is coming off right side of motor correct? Come to I think a white 4 wire plug? And each wire should read about 4.6 while cranking correct?

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
16,905 Posts
The pulse gens are usually measured with resistance of about 450 to 500 ohms. So if both are close in that range they should be good. Since you saw 4.6 volts, that is a good indicator they are working, but check resistance anyway to be sure they are in that range.
You can see if your manual is here or there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sweet thanks for that, if they are good, is there anything else I can check? Make sure I’m correct but resistance is the horse shoe right? Should be set to 2000? And I’ll check each wire with one prong and the other on ground correct?

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
16,905 Posts
Yes the horse shoe set at 2000 should be fine.
Not to ground however the generator has 2 wires check between them.
It looks like you only have 1 generator on that year. White/Yellow and Yellow wires.

Attachments

Reactions: CSRoad

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’ll double check but I’m certain. There’s yellow- yellow and white, and then I think blue and blue and white

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,925 Posts
Yeah there is only one pulse generator, right side of the engine, runs off the crank it has one yellow and white wire and one yellow wire goes to a two pole connector which then runs the same yellow and yellow white wires up to the large ICM connector under the seat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah there is only one pulse generator, right side of the engine, runs off the crank it has one yellow and white wire and one yellow wire goes to a two pole connector which then runs the same yellow and yellow white wires up to the large ICM connector under the seat.
I posted a pict, the location is corect but I have 4 wire. There’s only 1 set of wires coming from that side of motor right?

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
16,905 Posts
If you have 2 pulse generators, it must be a different year?
The 4 wire is a 2 gen type on many of the earlier models.
Like my 1983 750 has those same wires.
I wonder if the engine was changed?
Here is a diagram of an earlier model, but I don't know what years they started to change to the later ignitions.

Attachments

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
16,905 Posts
Yes the resistance is pretty much all the same. 450 to 500 ohms usually. If they are similar they should be good.
Not sure when the pulse gens were change from 2 to 1.
Even the 1998-2003 ace manual shows one. Maybe some of the guys with similar bike can help .

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts