Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I hear a clack sound coming from the shaft near the back wheel when I am sitting in neutral and ease the clutch out. I hear the noise just before it moves the bike... Could it be the universal joint? I changed the shaft oil before my 3500 mile trip to Sturgis. My bike is an 06 vt100c with around 15,000 miles

Thanks.

Also, could it have anything to do with this problem in my prior post?

http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/72-technical-discussion/387825-bad-clutch-i-dont-know.html

Thanks again!

· Registered
11,729 Posts
The universal joint is at the back of the engine not at the rear end. The end of the differential is a spline like old dad said. I doubt it has anything to do with a shifting problem. The u-joint does have a little play but you would be hard pressed to actually hear it. If you can get the bike up on a lift, put the bike in first gear and rotate the rear wheel back and fourth and see if you can find the source of the noise.

· Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,292 Posts
I am thinking the damper set in the rear wheel is shot, or if not worn splines on the drive gear will do it. Hard to say without hearing it.
Did they put damper sets in 2006 Spirits? Doesn't show on the parts fiche for the rear wheel. The fiche for an '06 Sabre shows a damper set just as does the one for my bike.

Could it be the universal joint?
Yes, it could. You'll hear a clunk from a damaged U-joint after the needle bearings have turned to powder. You'll continue to hear it until the bearing surfaces have worn down enough to jump the yoke. Usually you'll hear a high-pitched whine while you're pulverizing the bearings -- but all this is stuff I know from cars. I'm not really sure what YOU could hear on your bike. Or which end of the shaft you hear it coming from. Or how you could tell while you're sitting in the bike and ease the clutch lever out.

If you can get the bike up on a lift, put the bike in first gear and rotate the rear wheel back and fourth and see if you can find the source of the noise.
Good advice. Take engine noise, traffic and distractions out of the mix. Get down real close and find where the noise is. He should be able to do that by moving the tire with the bike in first gear and the engine off.

· Registered
359 Posts
Any long trip will produce heat from friction. This will expand bolts and wear bearings and so on. Even cars that are driven long ranges can have lug nuts lossen or break from the heat generated. take the time to check the set up properly. As forementioned, get away from back ground noise. get the rear end off the ground. locate where your noise is, and follow the shop manual processes for repairing. Also check the lube level before you start, this may help determine what is happening. CHEAT: when you open the level plug insert a small magnet to see if it picks up any metal particles.

· Banned
5,100 Posts
I hear a clack sound coming from the shaft near the back wheel when I am sitting in neutral and ease the clutch out. I hear the noise just before it moves the bike... Could it be the universal joint? I changed the shaft oil before my 3500 mile trip to Sturgis. My bike is an 06 vt100c with around 15,000 miles

Thanks.

Also, could it have anything to do with this problem in my prior post?

http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/72-technical-discussion/387825-bad-clutch-i-dont-know.html

Thanks again!
Remove rear Wheel, Inspect, reassemble per Service Manual.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.