Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a noise that I can't pinpoint. It's a high pitch squeal/squeak, sounds like a ride bell jingling. Seems to come about on deceleration. I can pull the clutch in as the engine stops vibrating, it stops. I've beat, banged and wiggled everything I can think of from front to back. I hope it's not in the engine !

The other thing, I'm pretty sure is an exhaust rattle. Not sure if there are baffles in my pipes to rattle as they are wielded solid from end to end.

Help ! ! !

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
When was the last time the rear diff was serviced?

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
How long have you been hearing the noise?

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
I've got a noise that I can't pinpoint. It's a high pitch squeal/squeak, sounds like a ride bell jingling. Seems to come about on deceleration. I can pull the clutch in as the engine stops vibrating, it stops. I've beat, banged and wiggled everything I can think of from front to back. I hope it's not in the engine !

The other thing, I'm pretty sure is an exhaust rattle. Not sure if there are baffles in my pipes to rattle as they are wielded solid from end to end.

Help ! ! !
Check the clamps and hangers on your exhaust pipes and shields. I bet you'll find one that is broken.;)

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
since before I changed the oil in the rear end.
So...like 1 month? 600 miles? 2013?

Without specifics, I'm guessing you have a spoke-mounted wheel weight that has worked its way loose.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So...like 1 month? 600 miles? 2013?

Without specifics, I'm guessing you have a spoke-mounted wheel weight that has worked its way loose.
I got the bike almost two months ago and have put about 500 miles on it so about 100 miles ago.

It had a stereo and speakers mounted to the windshield that vibrated pretty bad and I didn't want it anyways, so I took it off. I recently got a half helmet and that's when I noticed the noises, I couldn't hear it with the full face helmet.

No spoke-mounted wheel weights, they are stick on.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Ivel, can you tell what direction the noise is coming from, front or rear? I located a couple of mine just by the bike sitting in the driveway and increasing the throttle till it produced and then located the culprits if it was caused by engine vibration.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds like it's coming from the front. I reached around the windshield today and grabbed the headlight. It wasn't that and I'll never do that again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.